[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - How to register version 7

How to register version 7

A discussion area for users of the older Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler v7.0 and v7, v6, v5

How to register version 7

Postby Carl.Dawd » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:53 pm

I have been using v7 of the program for years and just upgraded my computer. I installed on the new computer, and I get the message to register, but when I go to the resister web site and enter my code, I get a message that my version is too old. The program says it will stop running in 14 days if I don't register.

What can I do?
Carl.Dawd
New User
New User

Re: How to register version 7

Postby DisAid » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Yeah, v7 is an older version. However, I think that if you chose the option to transfer, instead of a new registration, you can still get it registered on your new system. You just have to have your original information for the transfer.

You can also email undertow support directly, they should be able to help you.
DisAid
Active User
Active User

Postby Carl.Dawd » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:10 am

DisAid wrote:Yeah, v7 is an older version. However, I think that if you chose the option to transfer, instead of a new registration, you can still get it registered on your new system. You just have to have your original information for the transfer

Just because it's older it doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to use it! Unfortunately, I don't have the information :-(

DisAid wrote:You can also email undertow support directly, they should be able to help you.

Good idea. I'll try to email/call them today, or tomorrow. I thought someone here might have gone through the same problem.
Carl.Dawd
New User
New User

Postby DisAid » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:54 am

Nobody said not to use it :-)

All I was saying that the way to do it is to transfer the old registration, just like the email you receive whenever you register tells you to do if you re-install on a newer system. Anyway, if you don't have the information, contact undertow, they'll probably be able to help you.
DisAid
Active User
Active User

Postby Carl.Dawd » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Look, Disaid, all I am saying is that I paid my good money for this product and I can't believe that it's not supported any longer, in terms of not being provided with a serial number. What do they mean, "the program is too old"? If I want to still continue to use it, what do they care how old it is? I called them anyway, and I was asked for the "original registration info", well, if I had it I wouldn't need them, now would I? Why don't *they* keep the registration information for their users? They took my money, they are responsible for it.
Carl.Dawd
New User
New User

Postby DisAid » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:07 am

Carl, I don't agree with your thinking, but that doesn't mean I'm right. I can tell you, though, that *we* the customers can sometimes be unreasonable in our demands and expectations.

I am semi-retired and worked in the sales dept. of for a small software company for the last 10 yrs of my career. I could never get over the users that would call 5+ years after a particular version of our software would be discontinued and say "Well, I ruined my disk and need to re-install the software. Please send me another disk". And when we told them we didn't have any, because that version was discontinued and out of production years ago, some of them would get real upset, and tell us how "it was our responsibility to make sure we support our customers" and on and on... Really? How about their responsibility of "protecting" their property and possibly making a back-up so that they would have in case they accidentally destroyed the disk? You can probably see that one of my pet peeves is "people don't take personal responsibility" any longer and they expect "someone else" to take care of things for them.

So, you think that *they* are responsible to keep "your" registration information for you, but don't feel responsible for keeping "your own registration information", which you casually say you don't have :-) I could be wrong, but that sounds a*s backwards to me ;-)

So, what was the final resolution? Were they able to help you get your registration going?
DisAid
Active User
Active User

Postby Carl.Dawd » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:40 pm

It seems you like to criticize, but I still think that nowadays, the easiest thing for them is to keep a copy of the registration for their users on ther computers - many companies do that and let users acees it when they need it!

As for your back-up solution, many companies say in their license that you cannot duplicate the disk, so it would be illegal anyway. So your proposed solution would not work, in the example you gave. And, this has nothng to do with my situation. I have the disk and it installed fine, but in order for me to use it, I have to register it and they are telling me it's old and can't register it unless I have the old information. They told me that the information was emailed to me when I registered it. That was 6-7 years ago. What am I supposed to do, keep all my emails for 20 years so that I can accomodate their process? Oh, come on! And, if I knew that I would need it I would have kept it somewhere, but how was I supposed to know? They should tell you that up front!

You know, it's easy to criticize others when you are not in their situation, but things are not always that simple.
Carl.Dawd
New User
New User

Postby DisAid » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 pm

I didn't mean to criticize you, sorry if you took it that way. I have no interest in defending undertow or criticizing you, I was just pointing out some things that I thought were common sense. I don't wish to continue arguing, this will be my last post in the thread. However, I want to leave you with one last thought. I just checked my records and located (a) a screen shot of when I registered my PMST90 (I capture these so I can have the info) and the email I received from undertow, when I registered. I am attaching the email text here. I mean, what else would one expect? We need to take some personal responsibility...

email_register.png
e-mail message I received when I registered (highlighting was added by me)
email_register.png (77.5 KiB) Viewed 11957 times
DisAid
Active User
Active User

Return to Precision Mapping v7, v6, v5