[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Campground Ratings

Campground Ratings

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Campground Ratings

Postby IanRoth » Tue May 03, 2011 10:44 pm

When I look at the info for a campground, why can't I see the ratings? (I can only see them in the filters tab).
IanRoth
Active User
Active User

Re: Campground Ratings

Postby xavier » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:01 pm

It's there. Look at the bottom of the area that displays the Campground information.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:09 am

First, not all campgrounds have a rating. The ratings will only show up for those that have (TL = Trailer Life) ratings and not all of them have this. Then using the filters tabs will allow you to see only the campgrounds that have ratings equal to or higher than that rating you select in the filter.

Like Xavier says, if there IS a rating it will show in the Info box at the bottom of that campground's information. Otherwise it will be blank for no ratings.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Knight Traveler » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Regarding not seeing the TL Ratings....I see another minor issue, and that is, the ratings are at the very bottom of the campground listing when you click on "SHOW INFO". Most of the time that data page about the campground is so full of information you have to stop scanning with your mouse, move over to the scroll down bar, scan down to the bottom, check the TL Rating, then go back to scanning again.

Since the ratings are one of the first items most people look for in a campground, that should be more towards the top of the info section, that way you would not have to scroll down each time to see the TL Rating. Instead, as you move your mouse over the "P" or the "S" of the various campgrounds, you can just glance over to the info section and immediately see the TL Rating, then keep moving on. I know, it's being a little picky, but in this fast age of click, click, click, it would be nicer.
Cliff Knight
San Diego
Knight Traveler
New User
New User

Postby xavier » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:12 am

Well, if that's what you want, you may want to fire off an email to undertow support and suggest it.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Knight Traveler » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:33 am

Okay, Xavier, I did just that. Thanks for the prodding.

Cliff Knight
Cliff Knight
San Diego
Knight Traveler
New User
New User

Postby artmart » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:25 pm

Please keep us posted on what they say. After all a forum is for their users to share and boy do we like to share information!
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby PJG061073 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi..I realize I am late to this post... But.. The ratings to me are an OK indicator... I go to RVPARKSREVIEW.COM and read those. Always keeping in mind one persons opinion is just that...

Link:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/North_Carolina/Advance.html

Also many forums for feedback on CG's... If you need any assistance, reach out..

Happy Trails
RV Fulltimers-Currently traveling around USA-In Durham, NC..
On Way to Tampa
Regards,
PJG
08 Cheetah/Safari
PJG061073
New User
New User

Postby artmart » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:06 am

Good point PJG. Sometimes rating systems themselves need a rating system. One person's excellent is another person's so-so. The link you provided is commonly referenced in many other forums.

Do keep in mind that TLDCN is Trailer Life's product and hence will be rated per TL standards, rules and guidelines applied to them, and they might not reflect how you would rate a place. If nothing else, what you'll do after visiting many of these campgrounds, is learn what TL uses for comparisons sometimes. Also, if you are just traveling through, you might not care if the campground has a great view, because convenience turns a low rating of 3 into a rating of 10 if it is along the way, especially if you have your own shower and don't plan on using theirs. Happens to us all the time. We have pretty good tolerance for stuff and find often enough that the sucky clientele is less than desired compared to a wonderful looking campground. :D

Safe travels to all!
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby MikeRost » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:41 pm

artmart wrote:We have pretty good tolerance for stuff and find often enough that the sucky clientele is less than desired compared to a wonderful looking campground.

It might be a good (fun) idea to start a thread of "sucky clientele", i.e., real stories of the undesirable neighbors we all end up with, in some of these campgrounds :-) We don;t need to name the neighbors or even the campground, but I think we'd end up with some interesting stories.
MikeRost
Active User
Active User

Postby IanRoth » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:52 am

What I'd like to see here is a section where "we" the users can rate campgrounds, instead of some company, like Trailer Life doing it. This way, we'll get a more realistic review, in-line with user expectations. I don't know if undertow would be willing to do that, but if they do, I think it would be a great idea!

And before everyone jumps on me about there already being such sites with reviews, I know and I use them. But most of them are full of fluff, possibly posted by owners of the campgrounds themselves. This board appears to be more balanced, so I hope that if they start a section on ratings it will be more balanced, as well.

undertow, what do you say?
IanRoth
Active User
Active User

Postby FrankieV » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:29 am

IanRoth wrote:What I'd like to see here is a section where "we" the users can rate campgrounds, instead of some company, like Trailer Life doing it. This way, we'll get a more realistic review, in-line with user expectations. I don't know if undertow would be willing to do that, but if they do, I think it would be a great idea!

And before everyone jumps on me about there already being such sites with reviews, I know and I use them. But most of them are full of fluff, possibly posted by owners of the campgrounds themselves. This board appears to be more balanced, so I hope that if they start a section on ratings it will be more balanced, as well.

undertow, what do you say?

I strongly second your suggestion. That would be an excellent idea! Undertow, are you listening? :-)
FrankieV
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Sorry, but I vote NO on the suggestion that UnderTow become a campground rating company and this be the place for it. There are so many other sites around, why add that task to their mix. I prefer they work on the UnderTow products and leave ratings to some one else.

When it comes to ratings we'll still run into the differences of what we consider important for our ratings that might cloud or conflict with others and their impressions of what a campground should provide. For example, I know of some who like to camp where they can party to their hearts delight, let the kids and their animals run rampant and that is NOT my idea of a good campground. I prefer more quiet, use my own activities for entertainment and expect other family or friends to remain as calm and quiet, no matter what their age.

Ask me about a campground and I'll give you MY opinion, but it might go against what you would emphasize as desired accommodation and features.

I do like the idea of a Topic with "sucky clientele". I have a few stories of some undesirables where we've camped. I also wouldn't be surprised if one day that we were pretty sucky ourselves one day. I can probably think of the only time I was, but won't fess up unless someone really wants to know (I was much younger, not as wise and certainly not as experienced.) I know. That's hard to believe ain't it?
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby IanRoth » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:11 pm

artmart wrote:Sorry, but I vote NO on the suggestion that UnderTow become a campground rating compan

Maybe I used the wrong term. Let it NOT be a rating company, in that sense of the word. How about an area where users can give a short review and a simple, guided grade? Like

Clean (1-5) ?
Full Hookups? Yes/No
Free Wi-Fi ? __No, __Free, __For a Fee
RV Dump? __No, __Free, __For a Fee
Swimming Pool? Yes/No
Laundry? Yes/No
Phone? Yes/No
Propane? Yes/No

and so on... I'm sure one could come up with a simple rate/review guide that would give someone reading it a pretty good idea of whether they'd like to stay there, or not and eliminate most of the "subjective judgement" stuff. I know their program already has much more than this info, but I was proposing something that is done by RV-ers, rather than by a company.

Anyway, we don;t have to agree :-) I like the idea, and you hate it. That's fine :-) Now, how about starting a thread with the "neighbors from hell"? You sound like you've had a good deal of RV-ing time on your odometer, so why don't you start it up :-)
IanRoth
Active User
Active User

Postby paulct » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:31 pm

You don't give up, do you? :-)
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby Kevin_T » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:18 am

Don't know if you guys are aware of it, but a new section about park reviews has already been added to the forum! Persistence gets results :-)
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby paulct » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Yes, we know, Kevin. But I don't see much activity in that new section.
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)