[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Non NMEA

Non NMEA

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Non NMEA

Postby billrot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Is there any way to use the program with a device that doesn't output true NMEA data? Any other way to interface to it?
billrot
Active User
Active User

Re: Non NMEA

Postby Kevin_T » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:16 am

Billrot, so what "other" type of output data were you looking for? I am not an expert on this stuff, but I always thought that NMEA was the standard way of communicating such info. Is there some other standard, as well?
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Besides NMEA (which is a standard), there is also a serial interface method, but you need to know other information, too like baud rate, etc. This will not be as good and may require more effort to get it working.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby billrot » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:33 am

Oops, sorry I misspoke. You are right, non-NMEA doesn't make any sense. I don't know what I was thinking of :-(
billrot
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Your issue made plenty of sense to me. That was actually a good question, to remind us that if a device does not meet the NMEA standard, there is another method that might work but requires some research on what the serial attributes should be via the TLDCN or RTN Serial options. This might be better than nothing.

NMEA is a serial interface that is standardized to provide navigation information. Before the standard was introduced the interface required the use of very standard and basic serial interface (aka RS-232). The problem with RS232 is that the information itself was not standardized so that only basic information could be provided and the devices on either end needed to be able to understand what to do with the information. This led to huge incompatibilities between devices.

NMEA standardized this to make it easier and add more capabilities and any device developed to support NMEA could automatically understand and communicate with any other device supporting the same NMEA standard for navigation and coordinate transfers. While still not perfect it is way better than the old non-NMEA method.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)