[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Delete trips

Delete trips

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Delete trips

Postby Dutchie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 pm

:?:
How can I delete the names of trip files in the File pulldown tab?
Thank You

Margaret
On the Road Again.......
Dutchie
New User
New User

Re: Delete trips

Postby Kevin_T » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:50 pm

Why?

That's just the list of the last five trip file you opened. Why would you want to manage/clear that?
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:06 am

I use Windows Explorer (not to be confused with Internet Explorer).

It is the utility that lets you look at the directories and subdirectories and the files contained within. You can delete them from there. I kinda like this method so that I don't accidently delete files from the TLDCN or RTN programs.

If you need the location of where the files are located, provide the version of the program and version of Windows and hopefully I can look up where the .trp files are kept so they can be deleted.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Kevin_T » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:56 am

Art, all that sounds good, but it appears like the OP was looking to just delete the names from the File menu pull-down. That's the reason I was asking "why". Those are just reminders of the last few files you opened and have nothing to do with the existence of the files on your system. I bet that even if one deleted the actual files using Windows Explorer, those entries would not disappear from the File pull-down. In my experience, they only change if a new file is opened, in which case the new file name is added to the list and the oldest file name is pushed off the list.

Also, in Windows, files can be deleted from any file Open dialog, from any program (no need to run explorer). So, if the intent is to delete a trip file, for example, just Select File, Open trip File and when the Windows File Open dialog appears, "Right-Click" on the file of interest and select "Delete" from the pop-up menu.

Another "also" :-) I like digging into the program's settings, etc. and I found the location in the configuration file where the entries in the File pull-down are stored. They are identified with a string "UDATA=@HIST4:", so for example if there are two entries in the pull-down, the configuration lines would be,

UDATA=@HIST1:C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\RTN2012\My Trips\SampleTripEast.trp
UDATA=@HIST2:C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\SummerTrip.trp

Where the portion in red is the location of the actual files. So, theoretically, one could modify the configuration file to delete the entries in the File pull-down (as long as they do it carefully, so they don't trash the configuration file). BUT, the question still remains, WHY?

On an unrelated issue, on the system I am currently using, I seem to have two configuration files, one in my documents\rtn2012 and one in Program Files (x86)\RTN2012. They are very different. Does anyone know which of the two is actually being used?
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:34 pm

oops, you're right Kevin regarding Margaret's issue... Your method for removing them from the drop down may cause more harm than good, so for Margaret, what is the real concern? Too many names to look at? Curiosity to remove them? This is a convenience feature where your most recent files are displayed.

Kevin, regarding your unrelated issue, the simplest method for determining the file being used is to rename each file one at a time and see when the program blows up or creates a new file if it can't find it.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Dutchie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Kevin_T wrote:Why?

That's just the list of the last five trip file you opened. Why would you want to manage/clear that?

I travel new routes every few days and have no need to keep looking at the old ones.
In MS Streets & Trips you can right click on the drop-down file name and it deletes ( after deleting the file).

Since I'm learning this new program, I guess, yes there is a curiosity factor. But now I know they get pushed
off when a new file is added.

Now my curiosity leads me to figure out how to convert some of the Megafile POI"s used in S & T to the .csv
format.
On the Road Again.......
Dutchie
New User
New User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)