[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - laptop vs desktop

laptop vs desktop

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

laptop vs desktop

Postby scheppman » Thu May 10, 2012 2:38 pm

I downloaded the 2011 DVD to my laptop and when I call it up none of the roads appear just the P marking the campground. I downloaded it on my desktop and it's fine, everything that supposed to be there is there. Anybody had this same experience or know why it's different on my laptop?
scheppman
New User
New User

Re: laptop vs desktop

Postby garder » Thu May 10, 2012 3:21 pm

scheppman wrote:I downloaded the 2011 DVD to my laptop and when I call it up none of the roads appear just the P marking the campground. I downloaded it on my desktop and it's fine, everything that supposed to be there is there. Anybody had this same experience or know why it's different on my laptop?

This has nothing to do with "laptop vs desktop", as the tag suggested. I am no expert, but don't think the program knows or cares what system it's running on (desktop or laptop). However, what probably makes a difference is if they are running different Operating Systems, do they? Also, did you get any errors when you installed it? I had to install mine 3 times because it kept failing to read. Finally, I cleaned the disk with my movie DVD cleaner and it installed fine.
garder
Active User
Active User

Postby paulct » Thu May 10, 2012 4:00 pm

scheppman wrote:I downloaded the 2011 DVD to my laptop and when I call it up none of the roads appear just the P marking the campground. I downloaded it on my desktop and it's fine, everything that supposed to be there is there. Anybody had this same experience or know why it's different on my laptop?

Are you by any chance using a 64-bit version of Windows? If so, your data paths may be messed up and they are not pointing to where your data is. If you open the File Program Options dialog and the Data tab, what is the path displayed in the first edit field?
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby xavier » Fri May 11, 2012 7:47 am

I also think that the datapaths are the culprit, unless there was some problem during the install and the files were not copied over. Select File, Program Options, Map Data Folders and click the "Reset Data Path" button. This might fix your problem.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Fri May 11, 2012 1:07 pm

I've heard of the problem solution Xavier & paulct describes, but if that doesn't work...

I have personally experienced the problem that garder described but I don't remember what the exact symptom was, just that something wasn't working right and there was no indication that anything was wrong during the installation. All I did was clean the disk (the old fashion way, with a lint free cloth from the middle to the edge), then reinstalled the software. The problem went away.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby JonCamp » Fri May 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Are you saying that is the disk is dirty the *wrong* information may get installed, thus creating problems later on? My understanding was that the OS has safeguards against that, i.e., if there was indeed enough foreign material to cause a "read" problem, then the operating system would catch that, display and error and would give you an option to stop or ignore the problem (which doesn't fix it, but you know you have a bad install).

If the OP didn't get any error messages when installing, how could that be a problem?

Just saying...
JonCamp
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Sat May 12, 2012 1:56 am

That's exactly what I'm saying. I was shocked about it too, but something got corrected when I reinstalled it. After the error occurred, I reinstalled things and it then started working. I don't always question why things occur especially if in my mind it should never have been bad (there are many safeguards and not just the OS, but whatcha gonna do?), but if I can get it working, then I'll continue on and hope the sun comes up tomorrow since I didn't pay enough attention to understand what had just happened.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Kevin_T » Sat May 12, 2012 8:34 am

I think trying what Xavier suggested should be the first thing. Also, if the OP could tell us what the entries in that dialog are for the data folders, it might help.

It would also be great if the OP would post in this thread and let us know if any of our suggestions work, this way the next user with a similar problem would be better helped.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby scheppman » Sun May 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Problem solved, xavier was correct I did the "Reset Data Path" thing and all the strees and road appeared. A big thank you to you and everybody else that chimmed in.
scheppman
New User
New User

Postby xavier » Wed May 16, 2012 9:58 am

Hey, what do you know!

Did you hear that Art? I was right, once :-)
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Tue May 29, 2012 2:10 pm

I got a "message" from a long dead acquaintance who was quite the terror when he was alive. He said "Hell froze over!!". I suggested it was your fault.

:lol:

Just teasin'...
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)