[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Some Naive Questions....

Some Naive Questions....

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Some Naive Questions....

Postby Phil.Gusta » Tue May 15, 2012 9:56 am

I am no expert on the program and have no experience at all in developing programs, so this may all make sense to more experienced users, but I am confused with the user interface of this product.

I can add a User Campground, or a User POI, or I can mark the location on a map using a "bitmap marker" from their drawing/cad toolbar. However, each one is done using a totally different interface, I have to search for a point that I added as a campground in a different dialog than a point I added as a POI, I am not prompted to save my campgrounds when I exit the program, but they automatically get loaded when I start the program, but I am prompted to save my CAD and POI files and they do NOT get automatically loaded when I start the program, I can't add any description to the points I mark with the CAD toolbar, but I can add a short description for my campgrounds and an even shorter one for my POIs. I can manage my Parks (edit them delete them from a list, etc.), but not my POIs or my points marker with the CAD marker, and so on...

In my mind, it's really simple. I click on a spot on the map to mark that location. Once the coordinates have been gotten, I should be able to type a description and then add a picture to identify it (why not one of the CAD bitmaps that are already there, if I don't want to go looking for a custom one), and decide to classify it as a campground, or whatever else I want. I mean a POI is just a pint of interest I want to mark on the screen. Isn't a Park I like a point of interest? Is POI some specific type of places I like, or something?

As I said earlier, it may just be me, but for the life of me I can't understand why someone would create a program with all these totally different "types" of marking a point of interest and all these totally different ways to search for them and use them.

Am I the only one?
Phil.Gusta
Active User
Active User

Re: Some Naive Questions....

Postby xavier » Sat May 19, 2012 9:56 am

Yeah, it sure sounds and is confusing. It would be interesting to know why they chose to implement all those *nice* features, in such a convoluted way! For now, I've just resigned to remembering the various (different) ways they all work.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Some Naive Questions....

Postby artmart » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:19 pm

This was a major feature addition in 2011. In fact, I think I had asked for this feature from using prior versions that didn't have it and really appreciate that they put this in!

I think this feature will improve over time. Did you send an email with your suggestions to support@undertowsoftware.com yet? This is the best (not necessarily the quickest) avenue to use. Then Undertow will contact Trailer Life to make continuing improvements (they seem to release a new version every year). This is the method I use, since many have had little luck contacting TL directly. Most TL personnel no nothing about TLDCN/RTN or computers for that matter. They seem to be bookworms and not very computer proficient so I gave up contacting them directly. I'm not badmouthing them, I am just suggesting what works when it comes to getting SOFTWARE changes and fixes which is what Undertow provides to TL!
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)