[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Slow User POIs

Slow User POIs

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Slow User POIs

Postby nicbot » Tue May 15, 2012 11:46 am

I have been pretty happy with the various versions of the programs, over the years. I have downloaded a whole collections of the User-POI files that are available on this site (a big thanks to all the contributors!!) and I am experiencing the following problem.

I have imported 11 of those user files, totaling about 150,000 points. I have them set to be visible at 100 miles. When I am at 100 or 50 miles, my maps take a few seconds to update, when I pan around.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem, or am I doing something wrong? Could it be that there is an "optimal" number of user POIs that can/should be imported?
nicbot
Active User
Active User

Re: Slow User POIs

Postby artmart » Sun May 20, 2012 2:42 pm

I don't turn all the User POIs at the same time and I haven't downloaded as many User POI files as you have, but I probably have a better understanding of system resources (CPU, RAM, Video) than most people and know I'd be asking for trouble if I always wanted all programs and all features of all programs operating all the time.

I wouldn't do this unless I accept the performance of the system. If I wanted more, then I'd get a pricier beefier computer, then it becomes a cost issue.

What hardware are you using? How old is your hardware? What software, too? Windows XP uses no where near the system resources as Windows Vista and Windows 7, so even this might matter.

Then from another topic are the User POIs imported or not imported? If I understand things correctly if you don't import the User POIs, then you'll be loading them each and every time, which will slow things down. Then if you move to another map area everything gets reloaded again and slows things down again.

I'm just making guesses here, but if you can provide some more info maybe we can pinpoint if there are ways to improve things or if there's a problem.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Dave.W » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:21 pm

I am also experiencing a slowdown when I load a lot of POI files.

Is there any way to speed it up a bit?
Dave.W
Active User
Active User

Postby Kevin_T » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:45 am

That's such an open-ended question. How many points, total, are you loading? What are your visible scale settings? I mean, if you are loading 1000 points and there is a slowdown, then there is a problem, if you are loading 100,000 points and there is a slowdown, it's expected. Post some more detail!
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)