[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - how to insert poi icons from list

how to insert poi icons from list

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

how to insert poi icons from list

Postby jimkaron » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Just need a nudge guys and gals. How do you insert an icon like say WalMart/Petro/ etc. onto the poi so it shows on the mapping. Just a nudge. Don't throw me under the coach....at least while its moving......no end to my way....jim :D
jimkaron
New User
New User

Re: how to insert poi icons from list

Postby Camper22 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:27 am

Jim:

Not clear what you are asking (nobody will throw you under the coach :-) at least not yet.

So do you have a file of POIS you downloaded from this board and are trying to display it? All the POI files I've seen here come with a bitmap that is automatically loaded when you import the POIs.

Or, are you trying to do something else?
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby xavier » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:22 am

Yeah, Camper22, it's not clear to me, either. I am not sure if he is trying to import a POI file he downloaded, or if he is trying to display the Exit NOW POIs that are built into the program. Hmm...
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby jimkaron » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:30 am

Howdy. Here is my predicament with more filler. For example I go to poi-factor that has a very extensive poi library. Some are in gpx and some in csv. Of course for rv travel life they require csv or upi. Now here is where the conundrum occurs. None of the poi-factory poi's I have selected to down load have an icon associated with them. BUT there is an icon library that provides lots of icons and often several for any given poi. The dilema is mechanically how do you attached the icon to the poi so that when it appears on the mapping its not just a red flag??

I have only loaded up four poi's that I find necessary for my travels. No doubt this mapping and poi's supercede all other support out there. We thought we had died and gone to heaven when we got our first Next Exit but unfortunately it only cover interstates otherwise you have to have a trailer full of books in order to get to the detail that the rv travel life gets to.

Anyway this is my story and right now have no options....jim
jimkaron
New User
New User

Postby Camper22 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:26 pm

O.K., it now makes a bit more sense.

So it looks like you know how to import the CSV file you downloaded, by clicking the top browse button in the POI dialog and navigating to the folder were the file was doenloaded to.

So, download the desired bitmap (from POI Factory or, wherever) to the same folde where the CSV file is (it should be a bitmap .BMP file). Then, open the POI dialog, click the top browse button to find and import the file and then click the second browse button to find and add the bitmap file you just downloaded. Then, click the "Add" button. That would add both teh POI and teh bitmap file and associate them with each other.

Is that what you were looking for?
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby jimkaron » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks, I am off to try this but I thought I had followed the path you described to no avail. Will report.....jim
jimkaron
New User
New User

Postby Kevin_T » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:33 pm

There is an even easier way, well may be not "easier", but different. Let's say you downloaded a POI file called truckstops.csv Download the desired bitmap icon (let's say myicon.bmp) to the same folder.Then rename the bitmap file to the same name as the csv file (this example, rename the bitmap file to: truckstops.bmp). Open the POI dialog and select the POI file. When you "Add" it to the list (clicking the add button), the bitmap file will automatically be associated with it and loaded, as well.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Another problem I had was that I had the longitude field and latitude field reversed so the POIs never showed up (the coordinates referred to another part of the planet). Can you verify the files you are using are in the correct format? I forget the order, but it's in the help files what format to use for the fields.

One of the things I've had to do when downloading someone else's file (not just in the UnderTow forum) is to verify the proper format. I have had to move columns around or even get rid of some extra columns in order to get the files to work right. I use Open Office "CALC" spreadsheet program, but you can use Microsoft Excel or other compatible application to edit the files.

This may not be your issue but it is something to check.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)