[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Mac Version

Mac Version

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Mac Version

Postby Live2Camp » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:44 pm

I upgraded from a Windows to a Mac and do not plan on using any of the fake emulators to run Windows programs on it (why would I downgrade my system just to tun some Win apps?)

I love the Navigator programs and was wondering if there are any plans on releasing a Mac version, any time soon.
Live2Camp
New User
New User

Re: Mac Version

Postby xavier » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:52 pm

"Upgraded to a Mac" ?? That's funny :-) Why, figuring out how to use a Windows system was too hard for you? Ha, ha, ha.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Camper22 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:39 pm

xavier wrote:"Upgraded to a Mac" ?? That's funny :-) Why, figuring out how to use a Windows system was too hard for you? Ha, ha, ha.

Don't take it personally, Xavier. Lots of Mac users think Macs are better, because they don't have to understand how things work. All they have to do is click on a picture and magic things happen by themselves. Using a windows computer requires that you have at least "some" understanding of what you are doing. (Now I'll sit back and wait for the attacks from Mac cult followers <g>),
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby salmore » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:13 am

Oh, no, not another Mac fight :-(

It's simple. Mac is indeed a player, at ~14% market share in North America. Some companies choose to only address the other ~86% of the market. Some of the 14% can still run the programs from those companies, by using third party apps.

Let's just leave it at that!
salmore
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Okay everyone, fight's over from the onset... Live2camp already answered his own question and everyone missed it.

If TLDCN/RTN already covers 86% of the user market and I don't think they have it all just yet, why would they now spend another 100% of the development cost for another 14% of the market of only which they'd only get a small portion of it, too? Do the math. Then, since there are emulators to cover the other 14% and there's no cost to them for that, again, where's the market sense and thereby the cost sense for providing this effort?

Don't forget the big reason. TLDCN & RTN were written for a document/magazine company, by this software company (UnderTow Software). Trailer Life "contracted" (not has on staff) a software company to do this program for them. The cost needs to remain low to maintain a good profit margin. ADDING Mac support is expensive for the return on the investment.

While I think it was called upgrading to a Mac, you aren't upgrading. You are changing!!! You don't upgrade to a $10,000 Rolex, then wonder why you can't have a digital display like your Casio did! You changed to a Rolex not upgraded!!! For a MAC, if you want PC apps you buy an emulator. For a Rolex, if you want a digital display, put the Casio on your wrist, too.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby xavier » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Art, may be you just used that as an example, but I am nor so sure the Mac is the 10,000 Rollex and the Windows PC is the $50 Casio, although I'm sure the Mac people would love you for saying that ;-)
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Kevin_T » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Come on Xavier, stop baiting people. Art was trying to make a point and used the Rollex as an analogy. Don't fixate on the example!

Bottom line is, whatever criteria Undertow or Trailer Life use to determine the profitability of a Mac version for them, they have decided it doesn't make economic sense for them, otherwise they would have already done it. And, I'm sure if the economics change, they may change their mind as well.

Let's not start another Mac -vs- Windows war!
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby xavier » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:32 pm

O.K., you are right. I withdraw my comment ;-)
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)