[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Missing Campgrounds

Missing Campgrounds

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Missing Campgrounds

Postby brbmapper » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:33 am

There sure seems to be a lot of campgrounds missing from this program. Since that's its major purpose I wonder why they have so many missing?

For example: Near South Fork, Colorado a major summer camping area for visitors and campers alike Trailer Life Navigator only has three campgrounds listed. Yet there are at least eight or nine more right off the highway within a mile or so and three or four more really nice rv parks within 5 miles.

Just saying!
brbmapper
New User
New User

Re: Missing Campgrounds

Postby IanRoth » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:44 am

As I understand it, the campgrounds come from Trailer Life and correspond with what's in their "printed" campgrounds directory. So, if it's not in the book, it wouldn't be in the program. Now, why they might not be in the book, that's a different question. I believe they have certain minimum criteria. I think you are better off asking Trailer Life.
IanRoth
Active User
Active User

Postby xavier » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:55 am

Huh? I see lots of campgrounds in that area (see below). What am I doing wrong?

SouthFork.jpg
SouthFork.jpg (34.07 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:39 pm

Actually Xavier, the question is, what are you doing right?

For both, what scale are you using that some CGs show and some don't? Can you list an example of which campgrounds are not listed? Do you know of other services that might list them (AAA, Woodall's, etc.)?

As for why some campgrounds don't make the list that's an easy answer. Trailer Life concentrates on Trailer camping. You might never find the best backpacking or tenting spots listed because you couldn't take an RV there. This program is an extension of Trailer Life's paper materials, so you'll never find something in this program that is not listed on paper (I have seen the other way around which is why the software allows you to report it back to TL).

I find that the higher chance of concentrations of campgrounds in an area the odds are higher some aren't listed. Weird, huh?

Then there's what makes the list. Not all campgrounds are on the list because changes occur lots of times or an RV compatible place might not want their place listed (most times permission is required), the place might not have met other requirements (is there a minimal rating?), or changes can occur (new management, unawareness, etc.)

With all information services whether it is about campgrounds, features, or other services, especially when it crosses corporate boundaries, I have never seen a 100% listing that is completely accurate or comprehensive. AAA for example. They don't have every campground, restaurant, or lodging in their stuff either. Some are better than others but there are plenty enough limitations where places can fall into the cracks or just not want to be associated for whatever reason. Such is life in a free capitalistic society.

That's why these are called "guides" not "rules". I hope this helps.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby xavier » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:00 am

Well, Art, this is the second compliment ("doing something right") you've paid to me - I don't know if I can take this :-)

But, you are right, the devil is in the details. I don't know which parks the OP could see, in his set-up, at what scale, etc. That's usually the problem with not posting enough details - the answer you get may be the correct answer to a "different" question :-)
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby MikeFromMesa » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:07 am

IanRoth wrote:As I understand it, the campgrounds come from Trailer Life and correspond with what's in their "printed" campgrounds directory. So, if it's not in the book, it wouldn't be in the program. Now, why they might not be in the book, that's a different question. I believe they have certain minimum criteria. I think you are better off asking Trailer Life.

I don't know what criteria is used to decide if a park should be listed or not, but a couple of years ago I ran into some very nice parks in Hot Springs, Idaho. They were not listed, but had about 20-25 sites, sat in a beautiful setting next to a river and were fairly busy. When I returned from the trip I emailed Trailer Life to ask what the criteria was and to suggest that the park I stayed in be added. They never responded and they never added the park.

Since the campground navigator is based on the book the same must be true of them.
MikeFromMesa
New User
New User

Postby Camper22 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:31 am

Well, my experience has been that Trailer Life is not responsive at all. Undertow, on the other hand, though not perfect, is much better. I wish they were in charge of the database. Then, we might see some of these campgrounds that don't advertise with Trailer life, in their database. I know, I know - wishful thinking.
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)