[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Moronic Amazon Review

Moronic Amazon Review

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Moronic Amazon Review

Postby xavier » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:07 am

I don't shop on Amazon, but I just happened to be looking at the RV product listing on it and found this moronic review of the RV Navigator product by some user, RVang.

Reviewer RVAng
A waste of money, May 28, 2012
This review is from: RV Roadtrip Navigator 2012 -Trailer Life (DVD-ROM)

Don't bother wasting your money on this product. The trip planning software is so counter-intuitive that you'll spend more time trying to parse through the (less-than-helpful) help sections than actually planning your trip. The search function is worthless unless you know the exact name and/or address of what you're looking for. It will not allow you to make you're own route (which you might want to do when the software won't find a location you want to go). Even if you manage to piece together the semblance of a trip using the planning software, that's about as far as you can get. The 2012 Trailer Life RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory is NOT included in the software - you'll have to fork out an additional amount to actually get any useful information. What is included in this over-priced software is a simple summary telling you if campgrounds have hookups, pull-throughs, wifi, etc. There are no detailed descriptions, contact info for the campgrounds, or anything else that might actually help you make your trip happen. So sorry I wasted my time trying to figure this product out and threw away $40 on this - I could have spend the same amount of time and money on internet searches and a Fodor's or two and would actually have been better off.

Now, you can all here attest to the fact hat I am not the most vocal supporter of the company or the product and whine about lots of things, but this review is an example of someone who doesn't really know what they are talking about and an example of the internet allowing anyone to just say anything they want about anything, without the need to validate and back up what they are presenting. I can't really comment on the the fact that they think the program is counter-intuitive, some people have a harder time understanding how a program works than others, so that's a subjective thing. Buts saying that they can't search for and find a location is just wrong! The program provides sometimes TOO MANY ways of searching for things, does partial name searches, searches by location, by type, by features, and so on... And then, they claim one would need to buy the directory because the information is not there!!! My experience is that ALL the detailed information for all the campgrounds in the printed book is ALSO in the program and it's also easier to find, since I can search for it, instead of browsing through hundreds of pages in the book. I wish that users like this one would take a few minutes (that's all that is really required) to figure out how the program works before posting such totally inaccurate reviews. I am not an Amazon buyer and I can't respond to this user's comments, but someone should and set this person straight, so they can possibly stop them from posting such, totally uninformed reviews in the future.

Of course, I still reserve the right to complain about undertow and trailer life if I don't think they've done something right ;-)
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Moronic Amazon Review

Postby garder » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:27 pm

I don't have an amazon account either, but if I did, I would respond to that user. cutting down a product is fine, if deserved, but not for things that the user never bothered to find, i.e., features that are already there.
garder
Active User
Active User

Postby paulct » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:55 pm

We may not like or agree with a specific review of a product, but each user is entitled to their opinion and that's exactly was product reviews are - opinions. One can usually tell right away, from the tone of the review, whether it should be taken seriously or not. This one appears to be one of those where the user rants for no reason and with no basis. So, let them have their opinion and just ignore it. Most people that read it will know enough to ignore it.
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby Alexguv » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Oh come on. If anyone reads the review in question and doesn't realize that this user is a dunce - who probably thinks he is an authority on software, then it serves them right. Like others here, I am all for criticizing *bad* software, or *buggy Software* and there is probably lots of items to give undertow a hard time about, but the review is just nothing but a display of the reviewers ignorance, in general, not just in software. Unfortunately, the internet has given *al of us* carte blanche to pretend we know what we are talking about :-(
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan
Alexguv
Active User
Active User

Postby mrhagen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:46 pm

I don't think it serves any purpose to belittle someone because a review they wrote does not agree with our opinion! They are entitled to their opinion and if they think a product sucks, then they should be able to say so!
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby paulct » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 pm

Mr Hagen, not if their review is totally baseless. To say I don't like product A because it doesn't have feature X, when the feature is there and you just didn't look for it, is a disservice to anyone reading such a review. Reviews are presumably done to help other users make up their mind about a product. How would a review like the one above be helpful? To whom? People should take "some" responsibility about what they say.
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)