[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Using a Tablet with Windows 7

Using a Tablet with Windows 7

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Using a Tablet with Windows 7

Postby dntmac1944 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:53 pm

I have a 2go pad SL10 by CTL. I purchased it just so I could load RTN on it, plan trips, and use as a GPS while on RV trips. It work just OKay. The response on the touch-screen is slow and it is heavy. Other little things like needing to use the Shift Key is aggravating. Does anyone know of a better Windows 7 table (10") min that may work better?
dntmac1944
New User
New User

Re: Using a Tablet with Windows 7

Postby JohnGr » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:34 am

I think you'll find that using the program on any tablet is pain, exactly because it relies on too many Shift/Ctrl key combinations. They'd have to re-think their interface and they might if Windows pads become more popular.
JohnGr
Active User
Active User

Postby dntmac1944 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:51 pm

For many years I've tried to get Trailer Life or Undertowsoftware to see how nice it would be for an Rver, like myself, to mount a tablet in my RV and follow my preplanned route. I tried a laptop but it was too big and heavy. A tablet with a 10" screen or bigger would be great if the software was more compatible.
dntmac1944
New User
New User

Postby xavier » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:26 am

What did they say? Not sure about Trailer Life, but Undertow seems to be responsive to feedback!
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Nevertheless, it's Trailer Life that determines the platforms for the products they contract UnderTow Software to write for them. Right now TL wants their software only on Laptops and Desktops.

The tablet or a netbook might not have all the software or hardware support to enable all the features of TLDCN or RTN which is why anything other that a LAPTOP or DESKTOP are the currently supported platforms. That said, there have been others that have gotten parts of TLDCN/RTN to work on netbooks, MACs or other emulations, but expect complexities or to be a computer expert to decipher and fix the installations to get everything to work and even then one might lose some functionality.

The bad news with many of these other non-LAPTOP or DESKTOP platforms is that they change so fast and so do their Operating systems I can only imagine it would be nightmarish for a company to provide so many versions for so many hardware combinations.

Good luck with this request.

Have you tried a better support platform for the laptop in your RV? I have seen some pretty hefty ones and while a tablet would be nice (and small), there would have to be some extra room up front to support a laptop. For now, my wife is my laptop holder when she's the copilot. She uses the laptop with a connected GPS and a 4G hotspot for the internet and we get all the info we need. We do look like some pretty awful geeks bounding down the road but it does mean we can do all kinds of things (planning, monitoring, reservations, etc. etc. etc.).
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)