[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Is Trip file format compatible

Is Trip file format compatible

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Is Trip file format compatible

Postby Charlie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:42 pm

Can Precision Mapping open trip files created with the Navigator 2013 program? How about files created with earlier versions of the Navigator? And is the reverse possible, i.e., opening Precision Mapping trip files in the navigator?

Thanks
Charlie
Active User
Active User

Re: Is Trip file format compatible

Postby Dimitry » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 am

Well, I don't know about All previous versions, but the 2012 navigator trip files are indeed compatible with the pmsat90 trip files. It makes sense since it appears that both products are based on the same "precision Mapping" engine/technology. I have even tried tldcn2011 trip files with pmsat90 and they work just fine. I am not sure about previous to those versions. And, I don't think the files would be compatible with earlier versions of pmsat90, because the format was slightly different.

To be 100% certain, just fire an email message to undertow's support. They are pretty good about responding.
Dimitry
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:58 pm

The hint about compatibility often rides with the extension used in the file name. These are registered with Microsoft so there is a central place to track these.

For example, a file ending in .GIF means that any software that can open and use this file type will work with any software than can interpret .GIF files

In the case of Undertow (or any other company for that matter), if they develop software and product specific files with an specific extension, you can believe that any of their other programs using the same extensions will work. Since I'm generalizing the rule I did not verify your situation, but you can be assured that if the same extension is used with anyo other program's extensions (like Navigator and Precision Mapping) and they match exactly, then they will be compatible.

I hope this helps the world of Windows. Now, will someone post an exception where this is not the case and I'll apologize for not being as smart as the 30 years I spent in the computer industry.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby xavier » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Not quite, Art :-)

You can create a text file and give it the extension .exe That will not make it an executable file. Of, if you rename your trip file from MYTRIP.TRP to MYTRIP.XLS it will not become an excel file and be successfully opened by excel :-) I can email you a .GIF file (which will be a simple dc file that I renamed .GIF) and I bet you you will not be able to opened with any .GIF editor. The extension is just a name so that humans can organize files, it's the internal format that makes a file compatible, or not. I agree with you that in general there are certain formats that have been established as "standards" and are followed by companies, but even there there are sometimes surprises.

Having said that, programs from the same company usually can open such files, but I am not sure this is always the case.

I have asked undertow specifically, on the phone, and was told that the file format is proprietary and trip files can be opened by other versions of the navigator (at least till ver 2008) and precision mapping, but cannot be opened by any other program, by other vendors.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:09 pm

I was NOT talking about what YOU as a human can do to a program's file name or extension, I was talking about what a program creates and how they interact with each other!

If you leave alone the extension type to a file program creates, then the program will take care of what extension works. NO Human intervention allowed. As with most things in the world, when humans start to muck with things, that's when the problems start.

A GIF file created with a GIF editor will be fine. A text file will be created with a .txt extension. As a human, renaming or saving the extension part as something different is not only dangerous or careless, it's not wise. Another strange example is that an Excel file with an XLS extension can be opened with Open Office where .ODF files are typically created and this works because the program takes care of this for you. But if you mess with the default extension or change the extension in any way, you are asking (and may get) some serious trouble.

What I'm trying to say is that if one or more programs use the same extensions, then the files will be used the same way in either program. If they won't work, then they'll vary the extension to prevent programmatic problems. Nice try, Xavier.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby xavier » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Art, what I wrote had nothing to do with human intervention. I as trying to simplify it for you. Here, let me try this.

A trip file created by the navigator program, is automatically assigned the extension .TRP "No Human Intervention".

I have a Video streaming program that produces files that are automatically assigned the extention .TRP (they are MPEG-2 video transport stream). These files can be opened with CyberLink PowerDVD, Nero Multimedia Suite, HandBrake (in Windows) or HandBrake, VideoLAN VLC media player, iSkysoft Video Converter (on a Mc), or SMPlayer, HandBrake, VideoLAN VLC media player (in Linux). "No Human Interaction".

I guarantee you, if I send you one of these files with the extention .TRP, you will NOT be able to open it in the navigator!! That's because, as I said before, although there are some standards that companies have voluntarily followed for file extensions, the extension is "meaningless" - it's just a convention, it's the format the data is stored inside the file that makes it compatible, or not. Just because a program uses the same file extension (No Human Intervention) it doesn't automatically make the file compatible with some other program that happens to use the same extension.

Hope this makes more sense.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Kalteron » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:00 am

Not sure about all the internals of the programs and formats, etc., but I have some TRP files from an older version of the navigator (2004) ans they will not open in the new one. FWIW, when I open the new TRPs in notepad I can at least read what's in them, they look human. The older TRP looks like it contains gibberish, when I open it in notepad.
-
Kal Teronti - Wherever the Road Takes us
Kalteron
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:54 pm

There you have a couple examples of what I mentioned won't work, because of two different extensions being used by two different programs, or backward compatibility issues within the same company.

Do consider this... sometimes opening a file will show what looks like text, but there are many non-printable or displayable characters that you might not see and while you don't see them, these might give a program some trouble. Using a text editor isn't always the best way to view a file.

If no one knows a definitive answer this would work, then do what I've done in the past. Give it a shot. If the program gives an error, then don't proceed.

Otherwise hope someone came up with a translator for these file types and hope they find your request and offer a solution.

We tried.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)