[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Do all Garmins work with the RV 2013 program?

Do all Garmins work with the RV 2013 program?

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Do all Garmins work with the RV 2013 program?

Postby FrankieV » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:50 pm

I've seen the instructions that say to put the Garmin in a special mode (on the program FAQ), but it's not clear if it applies to ALL garmin nuvi models or just selected ones. Anyone have any idea?
FrankieV
Active User
Active User

Re: Do all Garmins work with the RV 2013 program?

Postby paulct » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:46 pm

I am not sure about all of them, but based on other threads here and on other forums, I think the rule of thumb is that if the garmin can be connected to your computer though the USB and be put in external GPS mode (not as an external storage device) it would work. I think this question is better asked on the Garmin forums, since they are the ones that know if that's possible for all their devices and how to do it.
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby FrankieV » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:44 am

Oops, of course I was talking about the 2012 program. Sorry about that!
FrankieV
Active User
Active User

Postby JayWild » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:23 pm

FrankieV wrote:Oops, of course I was talking about the 2012 program. Sorry about that!

Yeah, but I hope your comment applies to the 2013 version, as well :-)
JayWild
Casual User
Casual User

Postby artmart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:54 pm

I've read that the NUVI product line is not supported well with RTN, so far. I doubt it will probably be supported on the RV 2013 version since the issue would be with the NUVI not having all the hardware features in order to be supported. Just because there is a USB port means that all USB features are available. Such is the life of cost-reduced devices with a USB port. Many times the USB port only supports the power pins in the interface (I'm getting technical now).

Unfortunately, sometimes the price of a device is because features and hardware are not present and I think most NUVIs are this way. They lack the full support provided by many other GPS nav systems.

I have an old GPS brick that is cheap because it did not come with a lot of software. But all the hardware features are available and therefore works great with RTN and I expect the same with RV2013. I think any salesperson who sells NUVIs won't know about these kinds of things.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Kevin_T » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:29 am

Art, the funny thing is that this is not even a "hardware cost" issue. The USB port is more than capable of handling the needs for the GPS sending info to the computer. I mean all nuvis can be plugged to the computer, through the USB, and get information from the computer - that's how one updates the maps!

For some reason (they may have a good reason) Garmin has decided NOT to expose the mode of the device acting as a GPS antenna and simply sending the NMEA sentences to the USP (computer). Garmin is NOT the only one that does that, most (all?) handheld GPS manufacturers do that, Tom-Tom, Magellan, etc. I had the opportunity to talk to a senior developer from Magellan, a couple of years ago, and I asked him what it would take to permit their devices in the mode to act like a puck antenna. "No additional or different hardware, just one line of code", he responded! So why not do it, I asked? "It's a management decision", he responded.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby FrankieV » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:20 am

Stinkers :-(
FrankieV
Active User
Active User

Postby JayWild » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Well, when I called Garmin, to see if my Nuvi would work with the Navigator 2010, they told me that the Nuvi would not work with any programs! Then I found a link on the undertow FAQs that said a user found out it was doable. I tried it and lo-and-behold it worked! Here is the link in the FAQs:

http://www.undertowsoftware.com/support/tldcn2010.htm#Nuvi

I don't know if it will work with ALL nuvi models. I just wish Garmin support people were more knowledgeable about their products, or they should stop lying about what the nuvi can do or not.
JayWild
Casual User
Casual User

Postby artmart » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Tech support personnel are people too and are subject to their experience and knowledge. I can't imagine ALL tech support personnel have ALL possible knowledge of ALL combinations of ALL their products and their interaction with ALL combination of users. Go easy on them. I was better than most with this kind of comprehensive stuff, but there were plenty of times where I got baffled by something wierd an end-user was trying to do.

This is where the advantage of forums come in. Someone posts a problem and combinations of other support groups, forums and end-users gets something to work that would be "on-the-edge" or otherwise is not supportable. The problem now is that if something that doesn't quite work right, good luck with finding help because at least in this case, Garmin can't (or won't agree to) help.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby RWinlow » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:33 pm

artmart wrote:This is where the advantage of forums come in. Someone posts a problem and combinations of other support groups, forums and end-users gets something to work that would be "on-the-edge" or otherwise is not supportable. The problem now is that if something that doesn't quite work right, good luck with finding help because at least in this case, Garmin can't (or won't agree to) help.

I agree, Art. I used to always run to the products FAQ pages, but ever since I joined these forums I have found them a lot more helpful in resolving my problems :-) I know that sometimes people get frustrated and may post upsetting messages, but that's part of life, too. All-in-all these forums are great.
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)