[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Access violation error - New Win 7 Laptop

Access violation error - New Win 7 Laptop

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Access violation error - New Win 7 Laptop

Postby RWinlow » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:09 pm

I installed the program on my new laptop (Windows 7, 64-bit) and I now can't get directions for any of my trips. Some sort of access violation error.
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Access violation error - New Win 7 Laptop

Postby xavier » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:26 pm

The subject has been addressed in many threads on this forum, for example:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=705
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=599

And since I don't want to get yelled again for not saying how to fix the problem, go to the configuration dialog (File, Program Options) and reset the data paths :-)
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby RWinlow » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks, Xavier. Now that you said it, the light bulb went on. I feel dumb :-( Oh well, as I get older I have more moments like this.

BTW, this seems to be a common problem with people using 64-bit windows. Why is that, anyone know? I thought that all 64-bit versions of windows could run 32-bit programs, without a problem!
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:27 pm

In Windows 64-bit systems there are TWO places for programs. You have to make sure 32-bit programs get put in the 32 bit directory and 64 bit programs get put in the 64 bit directory. I got burned by this one time... LOL. I'm not sure how this gets screwed up but I have always realized that since Windows allows so many cooks (companies) in their Microsoft kitchens, sometimes someone might get burned.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Dimitry » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:00 pm

I think most of us have been burned b this one, at one time or another. I wonder what's going to happen when the 128-bit Windows becomes the standard ;-)
Dimitry
Active User
Active User

Postby mrhagen » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:16 am

Dimitry, is there a 128-bit version of Windows?
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:03 pm

gee, I hope he's teasing... They can't get the 32 bit or 64 bit versions working right, why make it worse? :D
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby mrhagen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:00 am

I thought I had seen 128 bit processors, which means that a 128 bit OS is probably available.
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:06 am

mrhagen... I don't think it works that way... 128 bit processors don't relate to 128 bit operating systems in that sense. At least they were apples and oranges unless something changed since I retired.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby mrhagen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Hmmm... How do you figure?

A 64 bit OS will not run on a 32-bit CPU. It needs a 64-bit CPU, since that would be the ONLY way for the OS to be able to access the memory addresses it needs to access! A 32-bit CPU would not allow it to do that!

The same would be true for a 128-bit OS. It would need a 128-bit CPU to address that memory.
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:57 pm

True, but just because the hardware goes to 128 bit, the OS doesn't necessarily have to keep up at the same time. It's been my experience that the hardware must be developed first, THEN the operating system can match it later. I've been retired from the industry for over 7 years and that's what I recall. I just am not aware there is a 128 bit Windows solution, yet. Is that what Windows 8 does?

I do remember that there was some delay for the operating systems to catch up to the hardware (horrors, what memories this brings back). I'm guessing that the time length gap was getting tighter but I don't know if this happens at the same time yet.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby paulct » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Microsoft is indeed working on a 128-bit of Windows, to be released soon.

Mr. Hagen you are right. Once 64-bit CPUs became availble, they started working on a 128-bit OS.
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)