[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Will the 2013 program be based on advertising?

Will the 2013 program be based on advertising?

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Will the 2013 program be based on advertising?

Postby Larry,Jin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:31 am

I have been using the Trailer Life Directory (book) and the Navigator program for the last 4-5 years. Both served me fairly well, but I eventually realized one thing. It appeared (I can't be sure) that a good chunk of the income for Trailer life came from advertising in both the book and the program. That seemed to lessen the value of the information in the products, as it appeared that the quality (and the ratings) may have been strongly influenced by advertising dollars.

Does anyone know if the new product from undertow will be set-up the same way, i.e., if it will derive most of its income from advertising and therefore skew the information in it?
Larry,Jin
New User
New User

Re: Will the 2013 program be based on advertising?

Postby garder » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 pm

I don't know what the undertow product will be based on, i.e., advertising, or not, but I have to say that I agree with you. The Trailer Life directory had become just an advertising medium. I wonder if the new combined book (Trailer Life and Woodalls) is any better - I haven't gotten the 2013 version.

I thought the older versions of the book (and the program) were pretty good. They had some advertising, which was O.K., but later versions started being a bit to "ad-heavy". It also looked like unless a campground was advertising, they wouldn't get some of their information in the directory, i.e., their web site, etc. I remember calling TL support and asking them why a park didn't have a web url and was told the Park had decided not to pay for that component and therefore their web address was not included.

I don't know about the ratings, but I believe those were valid, independent ratings and had nothing to do with advertising. Again, based on what TL support told me when I called (a couple of times over the past 2-3 years), Trailer Life actually employed teams of RVers that would visit all the campgrounds and independently rate them. And, for the most part, all those ratings were pretty accurate. What I am not sure about is, if woodalls, the other part of the directory was also doing that. For them to merge the two, they were probably both using the same method to rate the parks, but like I said, I can't be certain.
garder
Active User
Active User

Postby Live2Camp » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:42 pm

About a year or so ago, I posted here that I was moving to a Mac and was looking for a Mac version of the program. Well, unfortunately, I came back to windows, simply to use the navigator program because I had come to depend on it.

I found the campground information pretty accurate (well, with a few exceptions, but that's to be expected with such large databases), I looked at the ratings, but didn't really put much emphasis on them, since what's a 9 on someone's scale might be a 7 on mine and vice-versa. But I religiously used the actual information (amenities, electrical hook-ups, facilities, fishing, swimming pool, etc.) and used that information to plan my trips. Never left for a trip without planning it in the navigator.

Based on that, I am not sure how advertising hurt the quality of the directory and the program and if it did, by how much. If I had to guess, I'd say the effect was minor, so I wouldn't be too upset if the new program follows the same approach.

One thing I would definitely like to see in the new program, is an easier way to mark my location on the map and add some comments and a way to avoid having to print 30 pages of directions.
Live2Camp
New User
New User

Postby xavier » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:21 pm

I am not privy to what the advertising arrangements between Trailer Life and the campgrounds was, but the trailer live navigator has been a good product (with some exceptions like all products). I thought the database provided really good information and it may have been influenced by advertising (or not), but so what? Everything we do in everyday life is influenced by some sort of advertising on way or the other - who cares!

As long as the information I got in the program was good and accurate, I could care less. One thing is that they have been collecting this information for many years and I don't see how undertow will be able to gather all that information, quickly. Unless they are licensing the data from trailer life. I guess that would work, too.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)