[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Pre-Order navigator 2013 - When?

Pre-Order navigator 2013 - When?

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Pre-Order navigator 2013 - When?

Postby HaroldLin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 am

Has anyone seen any info about pre-ordering the 2013 navigator? I want to get my hands on it ASAP and in previous years I was given the chance to order it the August before the year it was released. I am surprised I haven't gotten any similar offers, yet!
HaroldLin
Active User
Active User

Re: Pre-Order navigator 2013 - When?

Postby paulct » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:07 am

In previous years, the program was from trailor life and that's who we were getting the pre-release notices from. But last year, we got the pre-release notice and ordered the program in late August, for a start of January release, and we didn't get the program mailed to us till the middle of March :-(

In any case, like their web site says, this year's navigator is from undertow and trailor life has nothing to do with it, so guess they may be following a different schedule. I also want to get my hands on it, so I hope we get it soon!
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby xavier » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 am

It looks like more and more software and hardware companies are doing that lately, i.e. no pre-orders. As a matter of fact, most of them don't even announce a release date until they are close to release. I guess they are realizing that both hardware and software are unpredictable - one little kink can throw a wrench in the works, and don't want to lose face by missing release dates. At least that's my take on it. They may have other reasons, who knows.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:38 pm

On the contrary, I think there is more of a tendency for pre-ordering than before. Just because one company stops allowing preordering, it seem 5 morecompanies start this process. This is especially prevalent in the gaming industry. But Xavier is close on the hit-and-miss part of this process. It WON'T work if a company uses only pre-ordering as the single tool for determining potential success. Like all tools you should typically have several available to allow for the unexpected.

I thought I saw somewhere there was a way to send an email to UnderTow Software and get on the list for the new software. I prefer not to preorder especially if there is a request for money in advance, but it's certainly up to you.

Since I'm sure UnderTow is "listening" to this topic I will not send an email to get on the list for the new software, because I don't know enough about the new release contents to feel I need to jump on the next latest and greatest software if I find my current RTN version more than meets my current needs. I kinda like that Trailer Life is being "taken out of the loop". TL should not take offense to my comments because I am one single opinionated user and being a book company and now having a website with rudimentary RV travel planning it's the decision they will live with. I will certainly maintain a relationship with UnderTow for some time still.

Having said that, if UnderTow wants to send me an evaluation copy, or a free copy just because they think I'm a nice guy, I WILL NOT turn it away. And if I'm a bad guy, I'm sure they'll either tell me that or ignore me. Either way I'll get the message and investigate the new software somehow to evaluate my needs. I'm kinda excited that a Mapping/planning company like UnderTow might have quicker turnarounds now that they are in complete control of this software's destiny and don't have to answer to most any other company.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby xavier » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:14 am

artmart wrote:On the contrary, I think there is more of a tendency for pre-ordering than before. Just because one company stops allowing preordering, it seem 5 more companies start this process. This is especially prevalent in the gaming industry. But Xavier is close on the hit-and-miss part of this process. It WON'T work if a company uses only pre-ordering as the single tool for determining potential success. Like all tools you should typically have several available to allow for the unexpected.

What ?? You think I'm right? OMG :-) Well, partially right, anyway. I don't have any stats, so you could be absolutely correct that more companies do it, nowadays, when cash is tight. It just felt that they didn't. And, like you, I don't want to give out money, before a product is out, by pre-ordering it. But, that's just me, I'm sure many others do it.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:56 pm

No I don't think you are right. Even when you are right I won't think you are right, just to freak you out. How about that? :o

Personally, I don't like pre-ordering only because I am not a loyalty-based company person. I regard myself as a functionality-based company person and I don't jump on the next I-pod or I-pad or I-phone just because it comes out. In fact I don't jump on I-anything because I am old enough to know better that these products are too expensive and I'm paying for more than I ever want to use. I then typically leapfrog versions so I can get the most out of the particular version before jumping to the next version that will satisfy my new needs.

Save that mentality for the younger generations who aren't as keen to the value of the dollar who spend to say they have it as opposed to my generation who spends because they know they need it and will use it.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Kevin_T » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:57 am

artmart wrote:No I don't think you are right. Even when you are right I won't think you are right, just to freak you out. How about that? :o

I was traveling for work and haven't logged on for a while, I missed this. Artmart and Xavier zinging each other, this is great :-)

For the record, Artmart, I am with you - no preordering, although I have to confess that I did pre-order a software package once, 5-6 years ago, for reasons I don't want to go into now.

On the other hand, if people like pre-ordering, then they should do it with companies they know and trust and not some newcomers. So, if someone wanted to pre-order, I'd say undertow is a safe bet.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)