[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Searching in Montreal area and 10% Grades

Searching in Montreal area and 10% Grades

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Searching in Montreal area and 10% Grades

Postby RWinlow » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:32 pm

As I mentioned in a different message, I am having problems with every address I search for in Montreal. I want to plan a trip there and every time I enter the address I get Not found. Has anyone here had similar problems?

Also, almost every tip I calculate I get grades of 10%. It's hard to drive a rig down a 10% grade, so I am wondering how accurate the calculations are in the program. Any ideas? (BTW, I have emailed Undertow but haven't heard back, yet).
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Searching in Montreal area and 10% Grades

Postby RWinlow » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:46 pm

RWinlow wrote:As I mentioned in a different message, I am having problems with every address I search for in Montreal. I want to plan a trip there and every time I enter the address I get Not found. Has anyone here had similar problems?

Also, almost every tip I calculate I get grades of 10%. It's hard to drive a rig down a 10% grade, so I am wondering how accurate the calculations are in the program. Any ideas? (BTW, I have emailed Undertow but haven't heard back, yet).

O.K., if anyone else is interested, here is the answer I got from the company about the 10% Grade.

"Road Grades are approximate calculations, based on the average area elevation and contour of the area surrounding the roadway. As such the road grade is meant to be used to highlight "potential" areas were the road grade "may" be steep, without being used as an "absolute" or "true" grade value. Generally, in areas with steep mountainous terrain or other areas with abrupt changes in terrain like river valleys, the calculated slope , based on surrounding topography reports a larger/steeper grade than is actually there ."
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Searching in Montreal area and 10% Grades

Postby Chris T. » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:00 am

Yeah, I don't have the latest version (yet), but I think this is a problem with most such programs. They just give you an estimate of what the grade may be. Luckily, they will overestimate the grade and scare you off driving it. Can you image in they told you that a grade was 3% and you get there with your RV and all of a sudden you are on a 9% grade? What do you do, back up?

I think software will be like that all the time. The TL 2007 version trip plan calculation had me trying to get through a pass, in the Rockies, that's closed 6 months of the year because of snow and avalanche problems. It's a good thing I contacted the local park ranger before I attempted to get on that road, in the first place :-)

BTW, what Montreal problems are you having? I searched for a few of my friend's addresses and was able to find them, in the 2009 version.
All limitations are self imposed
Chris T.
Active User
Active User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)