[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - New Update - Problem downloading

New Update - Problem downloading

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

New Update - Problem downloading

Postby Live2RV » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:04 pm

I started the program and I Saw a message about an update. I accepted the update, but the program almost immediately told me that it was finished. Tried to install if and it said the file was corrupt.

I re-started the program and got the same behavior, 5-6 times. What am I doing wrong? Anyone else having problems? I worry that all this is related to the problems I had when I was trying to download the "large" update, a couple of months ago.

I wish undertow would make the major updates available on disk for a small fee, to all of us paying customers. Some other companies do that. They offer the update free as a download, but you can order it on disk for a small price.
Live2RV
Active User
Active User

Re: New Update - Problem downloading

Postby xavier » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:08 am

Live2RV wrote:I started the program and I Saw a message about an update. I accepted the update, but the program almost immediately told me that it was finished. Tried to install if and it said the file was corrupt.

I was notified of the update by the program, as well, and was able to download and install without a problem. BTW, it appears that it has even more details about the parks!

Live2RV wrote:I wish undertow would make the major updates available on disk for a small fee, to all of us paying customers. Some other companies do that. They offer the update free as a download, but you can order it on disk for a small price.

Others have said that, too. Not sure why they don't do it, but you are probably right. After a while and a bunch of "large" updates, it'd be nice if you could order the "latest" build on disk for a small fee.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Gregory45 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:24 am

New member on this discussion board.

Is this the update to the 2014 version of the program?
Gregory45
New User
New User

Postby mrhagen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:37 am

xavier wrote:Live2RV wrote:
I wish undertow would make the major updates available on disk for a small fee, to all of us paying customers. Some other companies do that. They offer the update free as a download, but you can order it on disk for a small price.

Others have said that, too. Not sure why they don't do it, but you are probably right. After a while and a bunch of "large" updates, it'd be nice if you could order the "latest" build on disk for a small fee.

I also think they should do it and I have told them so (to their tech support). Don't know why they don't. Maybe it's a logistics problem.
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Think about the fee-based disk. The logistics are huge compared to a one time location for their new update. It's in one place at their website and the upload for everyone to come and get it, costs them virtually nothing. And since you aren't paying them ANYTHING, this is the best way to go.

Then consider the overhead and cost for a company in putting an update together, then all the whiners complaining that they have to pay ANYTHING for an update they should provide free for fixes and updates, and then you need some employees, sitting at a hardware setup and mass-producing disks that cost money to buy including sleeves, envelopes, mailers, shipping costs and stocking these, and trying to figure out how many copies are needed and you think this is cheap? If a company decides to do this, it will COST them and the only things we can expect is that if they do this because some have not had success with downloading updates (and most customers are successful at this), it will be done at a cost of profits. I'd prefer they spend their funds on manpower to improve the products, then other than the initial purchase of media (don't we feel better about paying for something and getting something in return?), updates remain free via downloads.

UnderTow is not the only software I have that's downloadable without media. Every week something in my system is updated in this manner. I have the sole responsibility of keeping my system fit and configured and able to download and when there's a problem I've been lucky enough to get it figured out and installed correctly. I haven't had to bug the host company (unless they have an update problem and has happened to UnderTow once) and this keeps the cost of the products low. We're beating a dead horse that died some years ago, and this might be why companies are getting away from hard media for updates.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Gregory45 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Art, I agree with your overall assessment. However, for those that have a problem downloading, or want to have the latest release on disk, in case they decide to install on a new system at a later time and don;t want to have to install the original, download the update, etc. I think it would be helpful. Sure, there is some cost associated with it, but I believe if Undertow priced it so that they can recover such cost (possibly $10, or less with the shipping), they may have a lot of takers. Or, maybe not. Just my opinion.
Gregory45
New User
New User

Postby garder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:26 pm

Downloaded here with no problem as well.

Although not crucial, I'd probably vote yes if a cheap disk option for the update was available.
garder
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:27 pm

You've answered your own question by using the term "cheap disk option". A company using download costs them nothing, it's free to them (and us for that matter), providing a disk of any kind will be more expensive no matter who pays the cost since anything would be higher than free. Making it cheap to the user means they eat the cost or try to apply it to their produts (marketing studies, projections, etc.). Trying to make the customer pay the real cost for providing this feature will just anger the customer because I'll bet no one wants to pay for it (yes, me, too). So the answer yes..... fuggedaboutit.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Re: New Update - Problem downloading - Get it on Disk!!!

Postby garder » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:42 pm

Well, there is a solution. All you have to do contact undertow and tell them that you lost your disk, or it was damaged and you can order a replacement disk for $10 (that includes s&h). And, you get the *latest* disk with the *latest* version of the software. Not bad :-)
garder
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:01 pm

You don't need a proof of purchase? Hmmmm.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby garder » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:47 pm

They do! They asked for my order number, which I had and they were able to look up my order, that's why it was just a "replacement disk". They said if I didn't have the order number they could also find it by my name an address.
garder
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:13 pm

I only asked because, to me, that would have been important to report on how to get the replacement disk. This is why I try and register those (even the insignificant) items. Sure, I might get barraged with extra spam or junk mail, but mishaps happen and registering your product help.

In fact I just registered a mistymate (personal mister for cooling yourself off on a hot day). You just never know if the mist hose can strangle someone or the bottle might explode while under pressure and this is how they would let me know.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby TedJen » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks for posting this info, garder. I will take advantage of it. This way I will at least have a later version, with the updates, if I want to re-install, instead of having to install from the original disk, then install updates, etc.
TedJen
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:39 pm

Until the next update that would make even that disk obsolete. Progress. It never ends.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby TedJen » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:10 pm

Too quick to pull the trigger in responding, Art? :-)

Let's think about it.

I got the original disk. Then I downloaded a couple of updates. Then I downloaded a very "large" update that took a couple of tries, took a chunk of time and had to be done in order, etc. If I had to re-install the program (different computer, Windows problems, whatever...) I would have to repeat that painful and time consuming process. Don't know about you, but I want to spend the remaining of my time - whatever is left of it :-), having fun, not fighting with ISPs and timeouts and downloads. So, I invest $10 and get the "latest" disk and at least I have a good starting basis. If there other incremental upgrades, like there usually are, I can deal with the 20-30 seconds of downloading and installing them.

So, unless you know that undertow is planning a "LARGE" update again, I like *my* way of updating. $10 buys me a lot, in this case.

Your mileage may vary ;)
TedJen
Active User
Active User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013