[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Information needed before purchase of RV Plan n Go 2013?

Information needed before purchase of RV Plan n Go 2013?

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

Information needed before purchase of RV Plan n Go 2013?

Postby lbaldwin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:51 am

With this software, can the user specify rig size and will it route appropriately - bypass low overhangs, weight limits, etc.

Thanks.

Looking for a good routing and in vehicle mapping software GPS unit.

Have a 43 ft Exec tag axle at 44K weight,, etc so will have certain limitations.

Thanks.

Lee
lbaldwin
New User
New User

Re: Information needed before purchase of RV Plan n Go 2013?

Postby artmart » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:33 pm

There is a Preferences section where vehicle length, rig length, total length (for towables), height of rig, are specified. There is also configurable preferences for types of roads to avoid and for the types of roads you like and how fast you want to drive. After plotting the "waypoints" you want to travel, I'm guessing this information is considered when you specify to create your trip plan. Then there are ways to finely tune your trip plan if you find you don't like the roads that were selected. The program is not perfect and while it tries to do as you ask, there can be differences between what you want and what it calculates. Therefore it's important to review the results then set things up for different routes. Like most tools we own, be patient with it and the more you learn about it, the better you'll get at it.

The major thing you'll miss about this new version of the program is that the campground database does not have a rating system at all for any campground. For subjective ratings you'll need to locate information from many other campground rating providers (Trailer Life, for example). UnderTow Software (who wrote the program) and Trailer Life (provided the campground and ratings database), parted ways recently and Trailer Life took their intellectual property and does not all UnderTow to use it any longer. Such are business relationships. And for those of us who had used prior versions also know that even then, one was not allowed to cut and paste any of that information to pass on to others, either.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Ruby22 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:26 pm

Well, you gotta be careful here. Although the program makes a full disclosure in the restrictions area of trip options (it states that these are NOT used to check against individual roads, but against a single value per state, as listed in the "Rules of the Road" document), I almost didn't see it the first time I used it. Wasn't sure whet this document was and at the time I googled it and found this:

http://www.rvsafely.com/rvroadlaws.htm

There may be others, and I don't know if they based it on this specific information, but I checked a couple of states, below, and their numbers seem to agree with what's in the above link.

INDIANA Size Limitations: Height, 13'6"; Width, 8'6", Trailer Length, 40'; Motorhome Length, 45'; Combined Length, 60'. Triple towing is allowed if the total maximum length does not exceed 65'.

NEW HAMPSHIRE Size Limitations: Height, 13'6"; Width 8'6"; Trailer length, 48'; Motorhome length, 45'; Combined length, Not specified
Ruby22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby Macaco » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Like Ruby22 said, there is no bridge height/clearance information in the program. Also, you said something about a GPS and the GPS abilities of the program are passive, i'e', if the program is running and the computer is connected to a gps, it will show your location on the map. No voice directions, etc. Having said all that, the program is still worth the $40 I paid, since it lets me plan my trip, modify it, play what-if and it does provide me with some overall driving directions. When I travel, I use the stop points I have created in the program, enter them into my GPS device and let that guide me.
Macaco
Active User
Active User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013