[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - RV Driving Classes?

RV Driving Classes?

For discussion on subjects that do not necessarily fit under any other category

RV Driving Classes?

Postby JonCamp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:27 am

A very interesting (and heated) conversation last night among a bunch of RV-ers. Should new RV-ers take special RV driving classes, so that they learn how NOT to drive their rig like a car, or is it not necessary? Everyone felt strong about *their* opinion and had some good points.

What do you think?
JonCamp
Active User
Active User

Re: RV Driving Classes?

Postby artmart » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Requiring something for something that did not require something before always gets people riled up. Don't stop at new RVers, I know plenty of RVers who can still learn a thing or two, including me.

I would like to see something for this but more laws to ensure this happens creates it's own set of problems.

So far, it seems like everyone treats common sense things like RV ownership and usage as "recommendations". If one would just do this on their own then we'd all better off, but isn't that why we'll have jails that are full of people who did what they want, no matter what the laws say?
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby JonCamp » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:45 pm

I see what you mean, you can't legislate, or legalize common sense and that is the root of the problem.

Some postings on other boards made sense, i.e., learning how to use the breaks on a rig can increase your safety and save you repair money in the long run. Also, backing up a fifth wheel, is not as simple as everyone thinks, etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to see what people thought around here.
JonCamp
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:11 pm

Don't draw your conclusion just on my opinion. This concern just happens to be one of mine too and I know of many other RVers who feel the same. As is expected, like minds who think alike tend to gather. It's the silent ones who don't give a care and don't say anything about it that I worry about.

What I wish RVers would learn is how to manage the weights of their trucks and rigs. There's enough than go wrong when we are in compliance, why increase the risk. On the other hand, there are plenty who say, screw the limits and carry more or drive faster than what's either considered practically or legally safe. That said, the speed limit in California is 55 mph when towing anything and I'll admit to driving between 60 and 65, because my truck's transmission performs better at that speed, therefore MPGs are better and it's still under what the speed rating is for my trailer tires. Did you know many RV tires even have a speed rating? Many don't even know that.

Speaking of California, most RVers (and many CHP officers and DMV clerks) do not know RV ownership laws. For example, I tow a trailer that has a GVWR of 14,040. In California if you tow anything higher than 10,001 lbs and less than 15,001 lbs you must have an RV endorsement (which I now have). There are other magic numbers requiring different driving and ownership as the weights get higher and higher. Many RVers do not know this. And I can go on and on. The commercial sector is monitored much more than the private sector needs to be. The information is there, but one must know to look for it. Most salesmen selling these behemoths will NOT tell you, because it's not their responsibility, and they would prefer to make the sale.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Camper22 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Oh man, did you hit a nerve. I agree with both of you 100%, if not more. Unfortunately, many (ot) RVers think that the only requirement is to have 50k, or 100k, or 400k or whatever, buy the biggest rig you can afford, and then get on the road as if you own it, having no clue (until your first fender bender) that your contraption doesn't respond to your driving the way our E-class, or your Acura, or whatever car you drove. I believe most RVers out there need classes on how to control such a heavy vehicle, but I don't anyone will make them :-(
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Return to Miscellaneous Topics