[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - MapPro80 footprint

MapPro80 footprint

A forum made available for users of the MapPro OCX SDK to exchange ideas, ask each other questions, etc.

MapPro80 footprint

Postby UShadow » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:32 am

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that the footprint of the SDK increased from about 1.2 Gb to about 3.4 Gb. I haven't looked at it very closely, but the full data resolution is touted as one of the main new features and I wonder. Does the increase of the quality of the produced maps really warrant this increase in footprint? I dare say not, but I am willing to listen to others who think it is.
Imagination is greater than detail - Albert Einstein
UShadow
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: MapPro80 footprint

Postby artmart » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:33 pm

I don't own MapPro of any kind but I am certainly familiar that any added graphics and resolution will increase the size of a file by quite a bit. There are file types that are better than others, but greater detail takes more bits and bytes depending on the intensity of the details.

It's best to notice this with pictures. Take a picture of something with a lot of detail and with the max resolution of your camera, then take the same picture with a lesser resolution. The file size differences may surprise you. THEN, crop the higher resolution picture to the same dimensions (height and width in inches or centimeteres) of the lesser resolution picture and the higher resolution picture will still be a larger file size because of the number of pixels needed to provide the detail within the same dimensions.

The only time sizes may not matter as much is when there is little detail. For example, take pictures of a white sheet with different resolutions and the size differences should be minimal depending on the file type the picture in which the picture is saved. Chances are MapPro files are more complicated and therefore the file sizes will be larger if more detail is provided.

The difference in the new file size is more than double of the prior file sizes. There may be more than just details in the data that caused this. When features are added this means more programming code too.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to MapPro OCX