[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - No FAQ for MapPro80 SDK

No FAQ for MapPro80 SDK

A forum made available for users of the MapPro OCX SDK to exchange ideas, ask each other questions, etc.

No FAQ for MapPro80 SDK

Postby ROstmeyer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:19 pm

The main undertow web site has links to a number of FAQs, but I don't see one for MapPro80. I was wondering why!
ROstmeyer
Active User
Active User

Re: No FAQ for MapPro80 SDK

Postby Gyrotech » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Yeah, I noticed that, as well. It could be that they do not have an accumulation of Frequently asked questions yet, to compile such a file, I don't know. Or, it could just be an oversight, who knows. May be they kneed a nudge ;-)
Gyrotech
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby artmart » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:28 am

I believe GyroTech is right. If a company does not have any questions that are frequently asked of them, then there won't be a list of Frequently Asked Questions to post for us.

The documentation must be really good and easy to understand. Otherwise the owners of this software are only married men who "never ask for directions" and therefore know how to do everything since it's so intuitive.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby ROstmeyer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:16 am

artmart wrote:The documentation must be really good and easy to understand...

Then, I must be real dumb, because it's not all that easy for me to understand :-(
ROstmeyer
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:41 am

Since there is no such thing as a dumb question, if you put your comments in question form, then you aren't dumb, you just don't know the answer, yet. But isn't that why you ask a question? To get an answer? Nothing dumb about that.

I can't say the same for the answers. I've come up with some pretty dumb answers myself, or others have certainly provided better ones. Fortunately, a Forum allows for a collective group to keep us straight.

You might consider asking a question on what you are trying to find out. Will that work for you?
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby ROstmeyer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:47 am

Artmart,I appreciate your responses and talking in generalities sounds great, but doesn't always apply to the situation at hand. For example...

I am trying to set up a routine that will accept GPS data from one of the COM ports, establish the location of the receiver, paint a mark on the map then get the next location as the receiver is moving around,... repeat the process and use these points to continuously paint a polygon that shows me the area enclosed by these points, preferably filled with some semi-transparent color.

I have a collection of high definition, very large satellite images that I want to set up as what they call underlays in their documentation. I Want to tile them so that they only load if the area they cover is inside the current view and then I want to adjust them so they match the underlying data (like undertow does in the precision mapping program).

Can you provide any help with any of these two tasks? I am not expecting anyone to give me the code to do it, but there are lots of specific issues in both these tasks that are not clearly explained in their manual. Seriously, Artmart, if you can provide any help, point me to the right section in their user's manual, anything it would be great. May be you are more familiar with the way their documentation reads, I don't know, but these are the types of things I would hope to see in an FAQ for the program.
ROstmeyer
Active User
Active User

Postby Kevin_T » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:46 pm

ROstmeyer, I can appreciate your frustration, but in all honesty, I don't think the answers to your question would ever be found in an FAQ, because they are such general development questions. For example, if you asked something like, "I am trying to get the location information from a GPS through COM1 and I believe I am making the correct functions calls, I can get the Lon and Lat but I am not sure how I can pass this information to the OCX..." then it's possible that the answer might be in an FAQ or that someone here can answer you. But with such general requests that you post, it's like someone would need to write a draft version of your program for you. Not a realistic expectation ;-)

So, are there any specific question relating to the MapPro80 functions you are trying to use in your development? BTW, I am not saying that I would necessarily be able to answer any such questions, but I'd have a better shot at them if they were more specific :0)
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Return to MapPro OCX