[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - GeoFindList or GeoFindFirst

GeoFindList or GeoFindFirst

A forum made available for users of the MapPro OCX SDK to exchange ideas, ask each other questions, etc.

GeoFindList or GeoFindFirst

Postby LarryWilton » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:34 pm

I have once again spent a chunk of time looking for the answer to this question in the documentation, but haven't been able to find anything. What are the pros and cons using the GeoFindFirst (and Next and Close) functions versus using the GeoFindList function. Do they somehow produce different results? Is one faster than the other? Some other differences?
LarryWilton
Active User
Active User

Re: GeoFindList or GeoFindFirst

Postby UShadow » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:44 am

Well, most of the time it doesn't make a difference, because the results you get should be identical, so it's a matter of what you feel most comfortable using, but it also depends on what development environment you are using and the level of your expertise in that environment. For example, if you are using some of the more archaic MS development environments, like VB or Visial FoxPro, etc. they trip over their inability to handle structures (since objects and structures was an afterthought and part of OOP), then you'd be better off using the First/Next sequence. BTW, I am not badmouthing those older MS environments, because they still server a purpose, just pointing out that one should use the alternate functions, that's all.

Actually, it would be interesting to find out if that's the reason Undertow provided both forms. I may fire off and email and ask them, just for kicks :-)
Imagination is greater than detail - Albert Einstein
UShadow
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: GeoFindList or GeoFindFirst

Postby Gyrotech » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:22 am

I have to agree with Ushadow. The two functions are pretty much equivalent and which one you use depends on how well your IDE works with COM objects, and even more importantly, how well you know and understand your IDE.
Gyrotech
Frequent User
Frequent User

Return to MapPro OCX