[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Most important methods when using MapOCX?

Most important methods when using MapOCX?

A forum made available for users of the MapPro OCX SDK to exchange ideas, ask each other questions, etc.

Most important methods when using MapOCX?

Postby FletcherJ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi all,

Ok, I know you all use the control for different reasons. I am new to this control. My experience has been that 90% of the work is done with a few key methods/functions. So while the control has lots of features, most of the work is done with a small subset. Also, there are often some key utility methods/properties/settings that, while not changed often, are usually key to getting things working (conversion routines, properties such as autoConfig, etc.)

So my question is: For someone new to the control, what would you say are the 5 or so most common methods you need and what are the 5 or so most important utility methods you use?

I have no problem looking up the details in the book, I am just trying to get a good headstart on which ones I may want to start with first. And, for future folks like me, to give them a good starting point as well.

And yes, I know some of you will totally disagree on the top 5, which is perfect as we get various opinions depending on how you use the control.

Thanks,

me
FletcherJ
Active User
Active User

Re: Most important methods when using MapOCX?

Postby Gyrotech » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:36 pm

I use very few of the basic built-in functions. I have designed most of my own dialogs, so I don't use any of their built-in dialogs to interface with the user. In one app I use their stock toolbar, but in the others I am not using that either. I primarily use their DirectView and DirectDraw and manage my own map canvas. and I also do a good deal of pre- and post- processing of their map by tieing in to their onDirect and onDirectAfter events. I use their user object layer management (and welcomed the new additions in the last couple of months), and have used their CAD interface in a few instances, but I do tend to raw my own shapes using the Windows APIs (though I don;t draw that many).

I used to use a lot more of their built-in stuff, but I have slowly moved away from those and just use their core functions.

Oh, yes I also use their GPSPro, once in a while.

Hope this helps.
Gyrotech
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby mAlagi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:16 am

FletcherJ, it's hard for me to decide or list the "most" important methods used. I use a little bit of everything. I guess the ones that I use most of the time are the FIND methods, because I do a lot of searching. And, in particular, I use the geoFindFirst. geoFindNext and geoFindList methods a lot. I use loose searching criteria with them to generate a large number of search hits and then I've written a bunch of my own methods to qualify the results and extract only the ones I am interested in.
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
mAlagi
Active User
Active User

Postby LarryWilton » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:13 am

So, if one were to complain to undertow and ask them to develop how-to documentation for some basic stuff (not just reference, but what to use to achieve certain things, like how to create transparent polygons, etc.), what would the list include? If we can get a list together, I'll email it to their support and haunt them to do something :-)
LarryWilton
Active User
Active User

Postby FletcherJ » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Larry,

If I were creating such a wish list, I would start with the forums and look over the questions and then try to have samples that address those issues that would be appropriate. And rather than have one large example, I would have a simple app with a menu and each example as it's own menu item.

- How to create a polygon (as you mentioned) for a given set of streets (I want to cover from maple street to main street, up to vermont st. and down to lexington ave. - how do I do it?)
- How to define polygons that have various levels of opacity, labeles, colors (including the argb vs rgb issue) etc.
- How to show/hide the various elements of a polygon
- Dealing with lat/log data in multiple formats
- How to do route planning (I don't need this, but I am sure others do)
- Understanding the layers approach they use
- Dealing with multiple items on a map programatically (including having respective checkboxes that show/hide those items)
- Adding images to a map (like a push pin) where part of the image should be transparent (rather than white) and how to make sure that the appropriate part of the image is in the right location (so the point of the push pin would be located correctly.)

It might also be nice to have some documentation that discusses the following topics:
- Where there are multiple approaches to doing the same thing, something that clarifies which approach is better for the various scenarios.
- Suggested default/optimum settings, file locations, etc. for setting up a development environment (sort of like the quick tutorial I posted). For VB.net, C#, and all the other development platforms (Java, Delphi, etc.) - at least those used by registered developers.

At least those are the ones that come to mind so far. I am sure there are others, I just don't know anywhere near enough to suggest them....

Take care

me
FletcherJ
Active User
Active User

Postby Gyrotech » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:28 am

Ha, ha, ha,... So, you want someone to tell you "how" to do your job? :-) And then what are you going to do? Type in what they tell you and claim you developed it? It ain't gonna happen ;-) You've got to learn how to use the tools of your trade. Knowing just enough to get in trouble doesn't cut it.
Gyrotech
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby mAlagi » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Gyrotech wrote:Ha, ha, ha,... So, you want someone to tell you "how" to do your job? :-) And then what are you going to do? Type in what they tell you and claim you developed it? It ain't gonna happen ;-) You've got to learn how to use the tools of your trade. Knowing just enough to get in trouble doesn't cut it.

I don't think anyone is asking someone else to do their job :-) Some of the outlined tasks are probably things done by many/most users of the SDK, so if the SDK had some details on how to use them, it would be very helpful!
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
mAlagi
Active User
Active User

Postby FletcherJ » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Gyrotech,

Gyrotech wrote:Ha, ha, ha,... So, you want someone to tell you "how" to do your job? :-) And then what are you going to do? Type in what they tell you and claim you developed it? It ain't gonna happen ;-) You've got to learn how to use the tools of your trade. Knowing just enough to get in trouble doesn't cut it.

There is a great resource available named "Microsoft All-In-Once Code Framework" This is a great resource. They have examples of how to do many things. None of the examples I have used so far do my work, but they have certainly sped up the time it has taken to do it by showing me the basic tool I will need to use.

Everyone learns differently. For me, I always try to get something running so I can "play" with it. Samples help me do that quickly. Then I code it my way as my coding style and application requirements rarely lend them selves to being able to just use the sample code as is (especially since the sample usually does nothing but show a basic concept.)

Clearly, you learn via a different approach and I am happy that works for you.

Finally, I was simply responding to the question:
LarryWilton wrote:So, if one were to complain to undertow and ask them to develop how-to documentation for some basic stuff (not just reference, but what to use to achieve certain things, like how to create transparent polygons, etc.), what would the list include?

A number of the things in the list I already know how to do. So I was not asking for someone to write the code for me, just responding to the question.

Take care,

me
FletcherJ
Active User
Active User

Postby Gyrotech » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:29 pm

mAlagi wrote:

I don't think anyone is asking someone else to do their job :-) Some of the outlined tasks are probably things done by many/most users of the SDK, so if the SDK had some details on how to use them, it would be very helpful!

Malagi, sorry if I offended you. It's just that anyone can pick up a book on C# (let's say - I am just using C# here as an example) read a couple of chapters and then claim that they are now C# developers, but they have no idea how the basic building blocks of C# works, the way C# interfaces with other components, any interoperability issues, how it deals with arrays, how the color specification is different than VB6 or C++, and so on, although they may have been good SQL or VB6 developers at some point. I see it every day and have to ask that such otherwise smart people, be moved to other projects, because when I rely on my team to "develop" something (I am not talking about just typing in code), I expect them to have certain "expertise" in our development environment, and not hope that "someone" will tell them how to do it. No, I don't expect them to know "everything" but I need them to have enough expertise that set them apart from someone who has happened to write some C# code in the past.

Anyway, that's just me - I'm sure that not everyone agrees with me. I think we've wasted enough bandwidth on this. Sorry if I have offended anyone (also got a caution from the Moderator), and I'll try to refrain from posting on yours and FletcherJ's posts. I'm sure you guys will be able to figure out how to work around the issues you are having with this SDK.

Peace.
Gyrotech
Frequent User
Frequent User

Return to MapPro OCX