[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Frustated with the forum editor!!!

Frustated with the forum editor!!!

A forum made available for users of the MapPro OCX SDK to exchange ideas, ask each other questions, etc.

Frustated with the forum editor!!!

Postby FletcherJ » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi all,

Have any of you had any of the following problems using this forum?
- Pressed save instead of submit, press the back arrow, and find that all your work was lost anyway?
- Had problems getting the cursor where you want it when editing? Either by clicking or using the arrow keys?
- Wondered why they even have a save button - I can't figure out why I would ever use it. And the message that comes up when you click it is about as clear as mud as to what will happen next.

I do like the forum, just have problems with the editor.

Ok, no more whining as I have to get back to work....

Take care,

me
FletcherJ
Active User
Active User

Re: Frustated with the forum editor!!!

Postby mrhagen » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 am

FletcherJ wrote:Have any of you had any of the following problems using this forum?
- Pressed save instead of submit, press the back arrow, and find that all your work was lost anyway?

That's what it's supposed to do. Why, what did you expect?

FletcherJ wrote:- Had problems getting the cursor where you want it when editing? Either by clicking or using the arrow keys?

Nope, none here, in the last couple of years of using this forum or in the last 5+ years of using other forums running pHpBB

FletcherJ wrote:- Wondered why they even have a save button - I can't figure out why I would ever use it. And the message that comes up when you click it is about as clear as mud as to what will happen next.

For the same reason you use "Save" in any app. So you can save whatever it is you are doing and use it later, if you want to!
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Gyrotech » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:31 am

FletcherJ wrote:Have any of you had any of the following problems using this forum?
- Had problems getting the cursor where you want it when editing? Either by clicking or using the arrow keys?
- Wondered why they even have a save button - I can't figure out why I would ever use it. And the message that comes up when you click it is about as clear as mud as to what will happen next.

I give up. You are hopeless and you like to complain a lot, don't you ;-)

If *you* don't know how to do something, it doesn't mean it's wrong, or bad, or broken. If you click the FAQ button (near top right of the page), then under "Posting Issues" you'll see the topic about saving. You save a draft message so you can then go back and edit it and/or post it at a later date.
Gyrotech
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby Kevin_T » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:49 am

FletcherJ, the save button saves a copy of what you have typed to your draft messages area. Then, at a later time, if you login and select "User Control Panel", you'll see an option to manage your drafts. You can edit, delete or cut an paste into a new response. You could have cut and pasted a copy of your text locally, in your own text editor and done the same thing. It's just more convenient to do it this way.

I haven't experienced any similar problems with pressing the back arrow and losing all my work, but that's not to say it's not happening.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby FletcherJ » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:08 pm

Gyrotech,

Gyrotech wrote:
I give up. You are hopeless and you like to complain a lot, don't you ;-)

I am used to other forums that work differently. In my case, I don't write a message on a forum just to save it, I write it because I have a question. On a couple of times, I have hit Save when I wanted submit.

I didn't say it was wrong or that they should change it, I just pointed out that I was having problems and wondered if anyone else felt the same way. If many others were frustrated, then fine, Undertow can do something about it. As it appears that this is unique to me, then no big deal.

Take care,
me
FletcherJ
Active User
Active User

Postby SamDee » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Kevin_T wrote:As it appears that this is unique to me, then no big deal.

I've got all sorts of complaints about the way the forum software works, as well. I just don't complain because I know that that's not undertow's software, so to complain about it here, is wasted. I do vent, once-in-a-while, on forums that deal with pHpB :-)
SamDee
Active User
Active User

Return to MapPro OCX