[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Google Prices ??

Google Prices ??

A forum made available for users of the MapPro OCX SDK to exchange ideas, ask each other questions, etc.

Google Prices ??

Postby George.Tan » Wed May 09, 2012 3:04 pm

This may not be the right place to ask this, but I figured since users here are dealing with Mapping and GIS development work, someone might have heard the rumors about google getting ready to increase the price of their commercial license by 5- or even 10-fold. Has anyone heard anything like that? Better yet, can someone point me to a place where I can get some details regarding that?

We have a bunch of developers using the google API, and I asked them, but they don't know anything about it.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.
George.Tan
Active User
Active User

Re: Google Prices ??

Postby mAlagi » Sun May 13, 2012 3:56 pm

I think that Google has a number of different licensing options with different prices. Haven't heard anything about them raising the prices 5-fold, but anything is possible. We have actually been resisting the move to Google, because we don't want to rely on having connectivity for our app, so we've been relying on a self-contained system with undertow's technology. However, as internet connectivity is getting better, we are rethinking our approach. It's nice not to have to worry about deploying data and being able to access data anywhere in the world with a single API.
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
mAlagi
Active User
Active User

Re: Google Prices ??

Postby jimwelch » Tue May 15, 2012 12:03 pm

malagi, for the type of work we do, I'd still prefer the "self-contained" system. And, I also don't want to have my "Sensitive" data uploaded to someone else's servers. I guess that's what there are so many different flavors of ice cream. Some like vanilla, but others prefer chocolate, and everyone needs to be happy :-)
jimwelch
Active User
Active User

Return to MapPro OCX