[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - lon/lat order

lon/lat order

A discussion area for users of Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler v8.0, v8.1 and v9

lon/lat order

Postby jimmyr » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:49 am

my gps and many other sources have the coordinates in lon/lat instead of lat/lon that the program uses. is there a way to change the order?
jimmyr
Casual User
Casual User

Re: lon/lat order

Postby artmart » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Since these are .csv files the only way I've done it is to use a spreadsheet program and open and edit the file to swap the two columns, then resave them as different .csv files. Then use these new files for whatever application needs these formats. I have done this with TLDCN and used Microsoft Office's "Excel" or OpenOffice's "CALC".

I've somewhat simplified the procedure and expect some computer proficiency in what I'm saying, therefore be careful not to destroy anything in the process. If you need a more detailed explanation please ask.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby jimmyr » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Well, you did say "expect some computer proficiency..." :-) I have no idea what files you were talking about. All I wanted was for the coordinates on the screen to display in the opposite order, so when I try to type them, let's say. into my gps, they are in the same order and I don't get confused, by having to flip them each time.
jimmyr
Casual User
Casual User

Postby artmart » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:01 pm

The computer proficiency comment was if you were modifying the order in a POI file. I thought you meant POI files since you are asking about Precision mapping. Sorry about that. Now it sounds like you are talking about something else like a separate GPS unit, not necessarily the software.

Some programs or GPS units allow the format of the coordinates to be changed, for example, coordinate display order (lon/lat vs lat/lon). In Precision Mapping try looking for an option that allows the change in order.

How about providing specific models and versions of "GPS and many other sources"? For example, I have TLDCN which has a program option to change it and I have a Garmin GPS MAP60cx handheld that does not allow changing this, and have used other automotive vehicles that allows changing the coordinate format and not the lat/lon order.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby xavier » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:08 pm

jimmyr wrote:Well, you did say "expect some computer proficiency..." I have no idea what files you were talking about. All I wanted was for the coordinates on the screen to display in the opposite order, so when I try to type them, let's say. into my gps, they are in the same order and I don't get confused, by having to flip them each time.

I think all you are looking for is the option to change the display order. File, Map Settings, General Settings, Coordinates.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby jimmyr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 pm

xavier wrote:I think all you are looking for is the option to change the display order. File, Map Settings, General Settings, Coordinates.

Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for.
jimmyr
Casual User
Casual User

Return to Precision Mapping v8, v8.1 and v9