[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Long Live UnderTow - 2013 Release draws near

Long Live UnderTow - 2013 Release draws near

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Long Live UnderTow - 2013 Release draws near

Postby artmart » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:25 am

For my sake anyway. I might just learn to depend on them too much....

I am putting this announcement here, because this topic represents all that will have been left from the RTN/Trailer Life versions where TL has too much say on the current way of things, but consider the bond broken and new life is being breathed into RTN.

I will try to keep things short so here goes.

1. No more connection with Trailer Life! This is big. This means feature requests do NOT have to go through the bookworms at Trailer Life. No more Exit Now restrictions and only information being provided by whomever wanted to deal with the limited practices of Trailer Life. If you want books go to Trailer Life. If you want SOFTWARE information for your computer stick with UnderTow.

2. New updates for street level data based on "Tele Atlas Multinet". Consider that many street updates may be seen. There are also highways and rerouted byways that might be reflected (for example, I'll be looking for the new Hwy 395 bypassing the slower old 395 in Carson City, NV.

3. Expanded built in POIs. Not just limited to Exit Now Points but will now have over 200,000 POIs including gas/diesel stations, service centers, restaurants, banks, hospitals, pharmacies, shopping centers, attractions, hotels and many more. You can get the idea unlike Trailer life involvement where everything seemed to be RV Park relevent, this version expands for many other traveling types. These will cover, USA & Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Canada. Personally, 200,000 is a little light but doesn't counts campgrounds which will be talking about later but expect this to improve. I'm hoping it's a typo.

4. You will still be able to import 3rd party datasets to customize for those POIs you don't see.

5. Expanded, independently compiled database of campgrounds and RV Parks. Expect this to be far beyond Trailer Life's filtered listings. Expect to see more comprehensive Federal, State, Provincial, Local and various other public campgrounds with long lists of feature they provide like parking sites, hook up types, restrooms, showers, laundry, swimming pool, fishing, memberships, internet, etc. And these will expand over time.

6. Distance measurements right off the map between to points (no CAD toolbar needed).

7. Ability to copy map sections into other Windows Apps. Trailer Life versions would not allow this. Some of us knew how to cheat this (i.e. I used Snippet) but this makes it more Windows friendly.

8. This Version is NOT an upgrade to prior Trailer Life versions since much of it is no longer interchangeable. This is its own release supportable by UnderTow 100%. While they were hoping for an end of March release, expect it in April sometime.

9. While the underlying software is different and the database sources might be different the "Look and Feel" will be much the same of what we are familiar with. But we all know we're gonna look for improvements and we're gonna like them, too, aren't we!!! And there all UnderTow's.

10. Reminder - While Trailer Life has been disassociated with UnderTow this does not mean UnderTow has no other associations. They are now using their own staff to compile databases and working with other independent sources to obtain plenty of campground information including from campground owners themselves. The new campground database includes info from public sources, private sources, National Parks, Army CORPS, etc and gets any information directly from them. This is expected to be updated regularly even though they might limit the number until the next release. For example, they are hoping to allow for at least 2 free downloadable updates. Compared to Trailer Life, if you want their new version, it's a new book each time and very limited in what type of campground provided.

11. There is no campground advertising planned. This should increase the information offerings for many campgrounds that have been left out before since they were "willing to pay for the privilege". This may change but the information should not be affected.

12. The new database include REST STOPS! Excuse me while I step away to use one.

13. Again, POIs will not include proprietary EXit NOT points but independent POIs from anywhere including exits will now be shown in USA, Canada, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

14. UnderTow is committing to at least two free downloadable updates of the program (includes campgrounds and POIs being updated) within the life cycle of the products. For example, within calendar 2013, there will be two free downloadable updates to the 2013 version of the program.

So whaddya think? Will it be worth the impatience? I'll be impatient and I'm still waiting...
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Re: Long Live UnderTow - 2013 Release draws near

Postby Ruby22 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:26 am

Wow, thanks Art. That the gist of what I was told when I called them, but I wasn't given this level of detail. Man, you mush have the inside track, or something. Can't wait to see it, hopefully soon.
Ruby22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby Cecil.Dowd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:36 am

Glad to hear that! I was seriously starting to give up on them. From what you posted, it looks like it's worth the wait.

Did you find out how much it will cost? And, are we, existing customers, going to be offered a discount?
Cecil.Dowd
Active User
Active User

Postby xavier » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:57 am

Nice writing, Art. Glad to hear we'll see the program soon. Why do you think 200,000 POIs may not be enough?

Also, I hope you fully recover from your illness, soon (I saw you write about it in a different thread).
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Larry,Jin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:05 am

artmart wrote:I will try to keep things short so here goes.

This was funny. Good thing you decided to keep things short :D

Seriously, though, I appreciate your spending the time to post such a detailed description. I just wish I knew why *they* didn't post such a description on these forums, about their *own* product. The logic of some software companies buffles me :o
Larry,Jin
New User
New User

Postby mrhagen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Ruby22 wrote:Wow, thanks Art. That the gist of what I was told when I called them, but I wasn't given this level of detail. Man, you mush have the inside track, or something. Can't wait to see it, hopefully soon.

Same experience here, Ruby22. I didn't get that type of response from them, either! Art must be doing something right :-)

It doesn't matter, though. I'm glad to here we are close to seeing the 2013 version. I was starting to have doubts, too.
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:03 pm

Xavier, I have an in-dash Nav system that had 9,000,000 POIs but they include all kinds of every imaginable type of business you could think of. Then I purchases an expensive update and now it claims to provide 11,000,000. When you look at the possibility of only 200,000 POIs, UnderTow might be counting different things - for example campgrounds come from a different database. I also don't know if my GPS actually has that many - you think I'm gonna count them? Plus I have found that their POIs are often listed in several categories. So 200,000 sounded a little light.

Thanks for asking about my health. I am still recovering. I lost 13 pounds (down to 160) and have only gained back 5, but so far DW is doing a great job fattening me back up.

I think UnderTow sent me all that information with the explanation "feel free to post info about the update in the forums" because they know I have a big mouth. Also, since I am a happily unpaid member of this forum and I just might be able to provide this info from a peer point of view rather than one from their Marketing team. Since I have not been flamed or scolded I think all is good. Like many of you I just might upgrade to this one if not just to get away from the "Trailer Life" connection. I'm guessing better things for this software now that it's all Undertow's. Yes!
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)