[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - More delay for the 2013 version

More delay for the 2013 version

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

More delay for the 2013 version

Postby Cecil.Dowd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:14 pm

I just wanted to post a short message and let everyone here know that I called undertow on friday and was told that unfortunately they will delay the release for a bit. They repeated to me many times during the conversation that they would rather delay it and not have sales, instead of releasing it and have disappointed users. I agree with their decision, but I am NOT at all happy that they didn't make sure they could release the program when they promised it.

Just my 2 cents.
Cecil.Dowd
Active User
Active User

Re: More delay for the 2013 version

Postby salmore » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:29 pm

I am not too happy about the delay either. I wanted to use the new version to plan my spring/summer trips :-( If it comes out in July, or something, it will probably be of limited use to me!
salmore
Active User
Active User

Postby Tony20 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:14 am

I don't know, but it sounds as if they are doing the "responsible" thing, by not releasing it prematurely! I wish more companies did that (not just with software), instead of rushing a product to market so they cam make a quick buck :(
Tony20
Casual User
Casual User

Postby artmart » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Please be patient. After a thirty year career in computer hardware and software R&D, I can attest that preparing software for release is SO much more difficult to test and debug. Unless the software is very simple, I have never seen a software schedule met. Something always comes up and sometimes it's caused by the software having to work around a hardware bug - I've seen this too many times to count.

While best efforts and time are spent to make a schedule, software is very difficult to "see", "touch" and "feel" every possibility and for this reason, it's difficult to develop and get to release. So when you can "see" a software bug, it's like an onion. Oftentimes, you fix that bug and there's another one below it and so on.

Having been there and done that, you can't imagine the frustration by software developers especially when it's a team of them and they "miss their schedule". They are NOT doing this just to inconvenience you, but quality has been job 1 in the computer industry since its start and the caliber of the engineers and complexity of the products have a great impact on that.

Again, let's be patient. Do realize, even when they make the release there still might be some bugs and you can't imagine what the product looked like before that, but that's when updates will be scheduled. Let's keep the faith. I've had good luck with UnderTow and have confidence they'll provide the best support.

I don't work for them, but I value their experience and talent is better than many others in respect to their products.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby salmore » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:29 am

Art, what you say makes sense. It's just frustrating to be waiting for so long. As I said earlier, I just hope that it won't be too late to help with my trips, though I guess I can use the old version, in a pinch.
salmore
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:39 pm

I've got some trips I'd like to plan for May, July and October. I HOPE the release is out before then, otherwise I'll have to resort to the old RTN 2012 version. Horrors, not that.

Let's all wait together... let's all meet at Xavier's house, start a campfire, sing "Kumbaya" songs and burn s'mores, not necessarily in that order. Yes, the suspense is killing me. I can hardly wait to get away from anything Trailer Life in this software and I don't want to surrender to Microsquash products and support.

Oh my, name-bashing. That's not my style. I blame the suspense of the upcoming release. :lol:
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby xavier » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:51 am

artmart wrote:Let's all wait together... let's all meet at Xavier's house, start a campfire, sing "Kumbaya" songs and burn s'mores, not necessarily in that order.

Wise guy :-) My singing of "Kumbaya" would drive everyone over to your house in a second, trust me.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:01 pm

No singing for you Xavier. We'll sing, you play the washboard. What?! No washboard? Me neither! I'll bring you a tub to keep the beat on. Besides, if we imbibe enough, we won't care about your singing.

I see this waiting is driving us nuts.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby keithhelms » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:05 am

Any news on this software?
keithhelms
New User
New User

Postby artmart » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:49 am

The only news is that right on the main page of the www.undertowsoftware.com webpage, there's a note (on my computer it's in purple text) that the release has been delayed.

I frequently check for this message to go away, but since it's still there, I shall wait. I am using the current RTN 2012 for my current trips up to early July 2013 and since I'm pretty good at the old release and I know its limitations, it is sufficient. The bad news is that 2013 is a lot of days, and doesn't end until midnight after 12/31/13. THEN it's late! :P

In retrospect, when the new software shows up, there will be a learning curve, so if it shows up mid-July I can have time to learn and then plan my September, October and November trips. Then I'll be using the GPS tracking function, too. I can hardly wait.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Budd » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:21 am

The speculation so far has focused on possible technical issues but I would not be surprised if it was more about unforeseen legal or political red tape, possibly connected with The Affinity group or data sources. JM2CW.
Budd
Active User
Active User

Postby xavier » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:03 pm

I tend to agree with you Budd. It's very likely that the problem has to do with licensing or some other political or legal red tape. I just wish they would be up front about it and let us know :-( As for the affinity group, as far as I knew (and was told last time I called, a few months ago) the new version would NOT be using any of the affinity data. Unless I totally misunderstood them. Nonetheless, something more than technical problems is going on here.
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Macci3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:15 am

Where do you guys get that info from? Are you just making it up, or something? I mean, what you say may be 100% true, but isn't it also 100% speculation on your part? Of have you been told by someone at undertow that this is the case?
Macci3
Active User
Active User

Postby RWinlow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:46 am

I emailed undertow twice, asking them to give me a specific answer "when the program will be released", but they didn't even bother responding to me. I can't claim that I know the reason for the delay, but the posted speculations don't seem too far fetched!
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Postby paulct » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:48 am

It never ceases to amaze me how people can make things up and these "things" become facts, once they start circulating. First, I have NO IDEA why the delay in releasing this product. The only thing I know is what I saw on the company's web page that says "issues" have caused the delay. Now, how did people from that ended up in "data and licensing" issues, is beyond me. It may be true, idk, but if someone has "real" information from the company as to what the cause of the delay is, please, state so clearly. Don't just guess :-(
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby xavier » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:37 am

Macci3 wrote:Where do you guys get that info from? Are you just making it up, or something? I mean, what you say may be 100% true, but isn't it also 100% speculation on your part? Of have you been told by someone at undertow that this is the case?

We are not getting our information from anywhere (well, *I* am not). However, given the deafening silence from undertow, what budd suggested sounds reasonable to me. I check their web site almost on a daily basis to see if there are any news and I haven't seen anything on the subject. I mean, come on!! You can defend them, if you want, but I say them like I see them, sorry.
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby TedJen » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 am

Just joinned this group, I didn't realize that the company was so close to releasing the new version. Are there any details as to what the new version would include? Will it still have the ratings for the Parks?
TedJen
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:39 pm

TedJen... try this link: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=777

I wrote this some time ago before I knew they might be having some difficulties. But we are still waiting for it. When you read the post closely you'll find the changes are major and they are adding databases and information coming from other companies other than Trailer Life. In fact, Trailer Life is not going to be in the picture any more. The only good news is that since they didn't make the first quarter, we are at the end of the second quarter, but there are two more quarters left in 2013.

Some have alluded these new company relationships might be part of the delay, but my opinion is that the delays are from more technical problems like getting all these things to work correctly especially the new features.

To look at their release plans go to http://www.undertowsoftware.com/ The status for the new release including the delay is right there on the first paragraph! How you got to this forum without seeing that... well, you just missed it.

I hope this helps.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby TedJen » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Oops, you are right, it was right in front of me :-( Thanks for pointing it out.

Nice write-up, too. Sounds like something worth waiting for. We'll see.
TedJen
Active User
Active User

Postby RWinlow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:05 pm

Just a follow-up. I finally received an apologetic email response from Undertow, telling me in no uncertain terms that the release of their product is eminent and a matter of days. Not sure if I believe them, or not, but at this point I guess I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for a few days. I can't lie, though, I am very disappointed at them for this delay!
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Postby LouSiampa » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:58 pm

RWinlow wrote:Just a follow-up. I finally received an apologetic email response from Undertow, telling me in no uncertain terms that the release of their product is eminent and a matter of days. Not sure if I believe them, or not, but at this point I guess I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for a few days. I can't lie, though, I am very disappointed at them for this delay!

I think it's probably worth waiting a few days. But, did they give you any more details about the program? Will it be similar to the earlier versions? I don't want to have to re-learn how to use it!
LouSiampa
Casual User
Casual User

Postby Kevin_T » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:00 am

LouSiampa wrote:
RWinlow wrote:Just a follow-up. I finally received an apologetic email response from Undertow, telling me in no uncertain terms that the release of their product is eminent and a matter of days. Not sure if I believe them, or not, but at this point I guess I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for a few days. I can't lie, though, I am very disappointed at them for this delay!

I think it's probably worth waiting a few days. But, did they give you any more details about the program? Will it be similar to the earlier versions? I don't want to have to re-learn how to use it!

A few days is not bad, I just hope it doesn't turn into a few months, again :-( I almost wish software companies did not pre-announce releases. I'd much rather be surprised one morning by an announcement in my in-box, instead of all this waiting and anticipation :-(
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Kevin, aren't you a software engineer? Don't you believe like I do (I'm a retired software test engineer) that the term software schedule is an oxymoron? Those are two words that cannot be together with any success.... we have the following sayings?

Q: How many hardware engineers does it take to replace a light bulb? A: Five, one to hold the bulb and 4 to spin the step ladder.
Q: How many software engineers does it take to replace a light bulb? A: None, it's a hardware problem.
Q: How many test engineers does it take to replace a light bulb? A: Again, none. They just report the room is dark.
Q: What is a software milestone date? A: a date to be moved out as many times as you'd like.

What am I doing? I hope Undertow Software has a funny bone, or they might not let me have a copy of their upcoming 2013 software. Hey Xavier! How about that address? I found a washboard and I'm ready to come over to your house and sing.

I hope there's no kidding about just a few more days for the release. I'm so desperate I'm almost willing to pay for a pre-purchase. Horrors! Did I just say that?
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Kevin_T » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:13 pm

Yup, I am Art, well, I was. I do very little of that, as of late. That's exactly why I wish companies didn't pre-announce, because the release schedules are almost never met, as these pieces of software are getting more and more complex :-(
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:42 am

Oh my!!! New forum message. Did you see it? UnderTow has declared that the Trailer Life versions of our programs have been DISCONTINUED! It's right there on the front page right above the "delay" message.

This can mean a few things....

1. The new replacement software is close!
2. This forum will get a new Forum Board Index since this one is about Trailer Life Programs & Information.
3. If anyone continues to post in here about the Trailer Life versions and campgrounds and it's a problem, it ain't getting fixed.
4. I now have more obsolete software on my computer.
5. Will the files I created be compatible with the new software? Otherwise recreating them will help me learn the new software and I have some pretty big trips I created (over 5,000 miles).
6. Then I will remove the obsolete software on my computer.

Can anyone else add something?
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Next

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)