[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - State Folder & Files

State Folder & Files

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

State Folder & Files

Postby DonLoyd » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:25 pm

For 18 months or so I have enjoyed planning our longer trips using TL2009 on my older XP notebook. However, I and probably others continuously fight for free space on my c: drive in order to do normal file maintenance such as defrag which wants about 15% of the disk to execute. Is there an option or process where the States Folder ( approximately 1 gig on my drive ) can be installed/moved to one of my external USB drives used to house other large databases?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
DonLoyd
New User
New User

Re: State Folder & Files

Postby Kevin_T » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:45 pm

DonLoyd wrote:For 18 months or so I have enjoyed planning our longer trips using TL2009 on my older XP notebook. However, I and probably others continuously fight for free space on my c: drive in order to do normal file maintenance such as defrag which wants about 15% of the disk to execute. Is there an option or process where the States Folder ( approximately 1 gig on my drive ) can be installed/moved to one of my external USB drives used to house other large databases?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Why not? I haven't done that because HD is so cheap, if I run out of room, I install a larger drive and clone my initial set-up, approximately a 2-hr, unattended process. This way, I always have the data on my HD and don't have to keep track what USB drive the data for each program is :-) In addition, data transfer from the external drive is MUCH slower than the HD, so running programs that transfer large amounts of data from it, would make the application seem very slow.

Having said that, if you are hell-bent on doing it, I think you can do what you want. You can copy all the data in the "states" folder, that appears when you open the program option dialog, to a states folder on your usb drive and then make sure the options dialog entry is modified to point to it. In case you are wondering why I think it will work, I used to use an old program from the same company, Precision Map 5.0, whicj would allow us to leave the data on the CD and point to it that way. As I remember, that was many times slower that even having it on a USB drive.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Camper22 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Kevin,

I wouldn't mind the details of how to do that. I am not sure of what to do, based on your message, but I'd love to have all the data off my HD.
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby mrhagen » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:19 am

Camper22 wrote:Kevin,

I wouldn't mind the details of how to do that. I am not sure of what to do, based on your message, but I'd love to have all the data off my HD.

Are you serious? :-) What details? The information kevin gave is more than enough. Of course, you need to know how to use a computer and windows to do some basic tasks, like copying or moving files from one location to another. If you don't, have a friend who is familiar with computers and windows give you a hand.

When you install the program it goes to something like c:\program files\tldcn2010 Then in that folder thee is a bunch of folders and one of them is called "states". So, take all the files in c:\program files\tldcn2010\states and copy them to your usb drive (let's say g:\states). Then, run the program, click file, program options, map data folders and change the entry for "primary path to streets" to be g:\states (or whatever your new usb drive and folder are).
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Camper22 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:44 pm

mrhagen wrote:
Camper22 wrote:Kevin,

Are you serious? :-) What details? The information kevin gave is more than enough. Of course, you need to know how to use a computer and windows to do some basic tasks, like copying or moving files from one location to another. If you don't, have a friend who is familiar with computers and windows give you a hand.

When you install the program it goes to something like c:\program files\tldcn2010 Then in that folder thee is a bunch of folders and one of them is called "states". So, take all the files in c:\program files\tldcn2010\states and copy them to your usb drive (let's say g:\states). Then, run the program, click file, program options, map data folders and change the entry for "primary path to streets" to be g:\states (or whatever your new usb drive and folder are).

We are not all computer experts. Thanks for the info.
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)