[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Install TL2010 Windows 7

Install TL2010 Windows 7

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Install TL2010 Windows 7

Postby lpreuit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:50 pm

When I try and install TL2010 in my new laptop with Windows 7, the installation stops about halfway through. Nothing that I've tried seems to help this problem. When I disengage the CD Drive the message pops up the it failed due to the device not ready. I've had Task Manager running at the same time and get the indication that the program stopped responding. Any suggestions? I'm not interested in TL2011 at this time.
lpreuit
New User
New User

Re: Install TL2010 Windows 7

Postby Kevin_T » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:27 pm

lpreuit wrote:When I try and install TL2010 in my new laptop with Windows 7, the installation stops about halfway through. Nothing that I've tried seems to help this problem. When I disengage the CD Drive the message pops up the it failed due to the device not ready. I've had Task Manager running at the same time and get the indication that the program stopped responding. Any suggestions? I'm not interested in TL2011 at this time.

Do you get an error message of any sort? What is the last thing that is displayed in the install dialog? So, if you wait for a while and don't do anything, do you get some other error message that it timed out or something? Without additional information, it sounds like a CD/DVD drive or device driver issue, more than anything else. Anyway, if you can post any additional detail, someone on this board may be able to help, they may have encountered a similar behavior.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby lpreuit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:32 pm

There are no messages if I do nothing. The install bar just quits moving. When I do a Ctrl/Alt/Delete and select Task Manager, it says that the program quit responding. The program is actually listed twice, but selecting End Task removes them both.
lpreuit
New User
New User

Postby FrankieV » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:33 pm

I have to agree with Kevin T, on this one. It sounds more like a Drive/Driver issue. Does this happen on the first of the second CD? Also there is a place in the dialog that lists the files that are being currently installed/copied. What's the last file name listed there?
FrankieV
Active User
Active User

Postby JonCamp » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:08 am

lpreuit wrote:There are no messages if I do nothing. The install bar just quits moving. When I do a Ctrl/Alt/Delete and select Task Manager, it says that the program quit responding. The program is actually listed twice, but selecting End Task removes them both.

Although it was not with Windows 7 and Trailer Life 2010, I experienced similar problems with Vista and 2009. My installation would stop in the middle of the second disk and just die. Nothing, no error message, nothing. I spent hours on the phone with support, but nothing they did helped. They also told me that it was probably a disk reader problem and not their program, yeah right and I believed them, Not.

Eventually, a nice young person from support took the time to offer an alternative solution. Create a temporary folder on Drive C:, copy the files from both CDs to that folder and then put the CDs away and install from the temporary folder. Sounded good, but encountered the same type of problem (process just stopped) while trying to copy the second disk to the temporary folder. So back to tech support, a couple of times until I got through to the nice young person and explained my failed attempt and frustration. He also said it sounded like a disk reader issue, and suggested another alternative, if I had a second system (which I did). Use the *other* system (an older computer running XP) to burn copies of the two program disks onto two blank CDRs and then use the copied CDs to install the program on my main system. I tried it and it worked, first try! Months later, while having problems installing MS-Office, and spending tens of hours hunting down answers on-line, I found out that my disk reader device drivers were not up to date and there was some sort of "Buffer Overrun" or "Media Timeout" errors (don't even know what that means), while trying to read certain disks.

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is you can try the two approaches they had given me above and see if that works for you.
JonCamp
Active User
Active User

Postby nicbot » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Same here, joncamp. Only I was installing 2008 on an XP system and it kept stopping. I was certain it was a bad disk, but I could install it on my wife's XP laptop, without any problems, from the same Cds. So, it couldn't be the disks. So, I copied both disks on a 2 GB thumbdrive, using my wife's system, and then installed from the thumbdrive on my system. Worked like a charm :-)
nicbot
Active User
Active User

Postby lpreuit » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:05 pm

You've all given good tips that should've worked, but didn't. I haven't yet tried making disk copies yet, but will soon. I tried to copy to a flash drive, but when it got to the end of the first disk, received a message something like (sorry, should've written it down), couldn't resolve a repeating, or recycling (re something?) issue. I acknowledged with OK but when checked the directory on the flash drive, the file was blank.

The place that this disk stops installing is c:\Program Files (x86)|TLDCN2010\States\1709Q3.zpg When it freezes, I am unable to even exit the installation. If I open/close the CD drive I am then able to click Ignore or Abort. If I Ignore the file, it advances to the next (1809Q3) where it runs until it times out and locks up again.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions.
lpreuit
New User
New User

Postby nicbot » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:04 pm

Similar questions have been answered before. If what you are getting is a CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check failure) and you search these forums, you'll find a couple of links. Here is one of them.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=112&p=250&hilit=cyclic#p250

BTW, when you get error messages, it it IMPORTANT that you jot down what the actual message is, that's the only way we can try and help here, otherwise we are just guessing :-) The long and short of it is that it's possible that the CD-ROM disk has been damaged, or has a manufacturing error, in which case it's unlikely you'll be able to read/install it. Did you try installing it or copying to a thumbdrive on a *different* system, to rule out a disk reader problem, or were you trying all this on teh same system that exhibited the failure in the first place?
nicbot
Active User
Active User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)