[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Need to pin the trip planner and summary panels where I want

Need to pin the trip planner and summary panels where I want

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Need to pin the trip planner and summary panels where I want

Postby Budd » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:35 am

It is maddening to have to move the Trip Planner and Trip Summary panels off of the middle of the map every time I have to refresh the directions after a change. This is particularly frustrating when I have 2 monitors and can keep them on the "other monitor" while I work with the map on the widescreen.

It is also frustrating that I cannot resize these panels to take advantage of the display space I have available. Even when running on a single monitor and doing high level trip planning, it would be very helpful to be able to see a larger segment of the Trip Summary. Even with the Trip Details collapsed and travel hours shortened to just 5 hours, it is unlikely that one can see more than a single segment and that usually takes some scrolling to get it to fit in the short window available. High level planning is usually mostly about when will I be where and there is no summary view that just shows those. SInce just about every change of stops shifts the whole schedule, trying to pin down dates for reservations at a particular campground is really hard to "see" through this little summary window.
Budd
Active User
Active User

Re: Need to pin the trip planner and summary panels where I want

Postby karmak » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:53 am

Budd wrote:It is maddening to have to move the Trip Planner and Trip Summary panels off of the middle of the map every time I have to refresh the directions after a change. This is particularly frustrating when I have 2 monitors and can keep them on the "other monitor" while I work with the map on the widescreen.

It is also frustrating that I cannot resize these panels to take advantage of the display space I have available. Even when running on a single monitor and doing high level trip planning, it would be very helpful to be able to see a larger segment of the Trip Summary. Even with the Trip Details collapsed and travel hours shortened to just 5 hours, it is unlikely that one can see more than a single segment and that usually takes some scrolling to get it to fit in the short window available. High level planning is usually mostly about when will I be where and there is no summary view that just shows those. SInce just about every change of stops shifts the whole schedule, trying to pin down dates for reservations at a particular campground is really hard to "see" through this little summary window.

When the directions are displayed, click on the small paper-clip (upper left corner) to (a) anchor the directions dialog to the right (full height) and still be able to use the map, trip planner, etc.
karmak
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:49 pm

I've learned to live with these limitations. I do consider them limitations but not as a problem. I do paper clip the Trip Summary to the RV Park listing window to the right of the screen and I will close the Trip Plan altogether and use the display map to move around as needed. The Trip Plan can be recalled by using the change or create trip plan option in the menu bar because closing it just gets rid of it on the screen.

Nothing can be changed for resizing and how much information displayed is limited to some option boxes and that's about it.

Since this forum cannot provide a solution to your needs, you might try making these suggestions in an email to support@undertowsoftware.com where their programmers could report back to Trailer Life to approve these enhancements. Keep us posted on the progress.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Budd » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:05 pm

artmart wrote:I've learned to live with these limitations. I do consider them limitations but not as a problem. I do paper clip the Trip Summary to the RV Park listing window to the right of the screen and I will close the Trip Plan altogether and use the display map to move around as needed. The Trip Plan can be recalled by using the change or create trip plan option in the menu bar because closing it just gets rid of it on the screen.

Nothing can be changed for resizing and how much information displayed is limited to some option boxes and that's about it.

Since this forum cannot provide a solution to your needs, you might try making these suggestions in an email to support@undertowsoftware.com where their programmers could report back to Trailer Life to approve these enhancements. Keep us posted on the progress.

This is certainly a bit better... but only a bit since every recalculation unpins it and turns it back to the smaller window. Either way, both the trip planner panel and the Trip summary panel have to be moved EVERY time a recalc is done. It makes it very hard to stay focused on what I am trying to accomplish. But thanks for the suggestion.
Budd
Active User
Active User

Postby Budd » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:14 pm

karmak wrote:
Budd wrote:It is maddening to have to move the Trip Planner and Trip Summary panels off of the middle of the map every time I have to refresh the directions after a change. This is particularly frustrating when I have 2 monitors and can keep them on the "other monitor" while I work with the map on the widescreen.

When the directions are displayed, click on the small paper-clip (upper left corner) to (a) anchor the directions dialog to the right (full height) and still be able to use the map, trip planner, etc.

This is certainly a bit better... but only a bit since every recalculation unpins it and turns it back to the smaller window which is located somewhere else. Either way, both the trip planner panel and the Trip summary panel have to be moved EVERY time a recalc is done. It makes it very hard to stay focused on what I am trying to accomplish. But thanks for the suggestion.
Budd
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Have you sent a note to Undertow Software? This forum sponsored by Undertow is for their products. TLDCN is Trailer Life's offering and UnderTow writes the software for them, using Trailer Life's databases.

We have had much better success sending notes to UnderTow, then they contact Trailer Life and then TL approves the fix. This seems to be the business arrangement. Many of us have been frustrated trying to contact TL with complaints about "their" TLDCN software and I have a feeling it's because TL is a book and paper company and doesn't understand software. I gave up contacting TL long time ago because of this and maybe your concerns going to UnderTow first (this forum is for UnderTow product users, not Undertow tech support) will yield better results for getting this changed. Good luck, and if this does get changed I'd be happy about it. Like you said, it would remedy some of the irritation factor.

By the way, I am referring to the resizing and flexibility of the resulting screen. I don't think you can do much about the recalculation because if you change the Trip Plan you're gonna need a new Trip Summary. Tweaking your Trip Plan will cause a new Trip Summary. There is a program option to minimize some of the recalculation but my computer is fast enough and I don't mind a complete recalculation if I've changed/added/removed a Via Point. The option is in the Trip Plan window, then click on "Trip Preferences", the "Options" tab, then click the first box for "Complete Recalculation of Route" to turn this on or off. I don't use this and don't know how good it works, but you might want to give this a try to see if you can improve the trip summary calculation times.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Budd » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks guys. This last update allows the Summary page to stay on my other monitor through recalculations. Marvelous improvement! Resizing would certainly be a help but this is a serious improvement. Especially not dumping it back over the map each time.

The problem with the paper clipping window is that the essential information p2p Miles/time I need is not available in it nor can I scroll or rearrange the columns so I can see the segment time and mileage. When I need to see a larger portion of a trip I am planning, I really need to see most of what is in the summary window but a longer view to determine where to start looking for a campground. Yes, I can go change my typical daily driving preferences but this will skew my entire trip.

Example: Planning an 1800 mile - 4 month trip From NC to FL and then west to Corpus Christi, TX. There are places, like FLorida that have good campground density and with a 200 mile/day window it is not too hard to find something acceptable within a few miles/30 minutes of my limits. However, when one gets out into Mississippi and Louisiana, anything besides fish camps from Deliverance, get sketchy and it can take a whole lot of time to find and then vette the campgrounds that are shown on the maps. On the clipped page; with time/distance shown over a longer span (even with the collapse box checked) it is much faster to "see" where I would be even willing to consider a stop around the time/mileage limit.

The clipped window is helpful and I am not saying otherwise. It's just that its usefulness is very limited because what is shown... I already know. What I need is the info specific to what I am trying to figure out.

Again, though, thank you so much for letting the summary window stay where I put it. This is a really, really big help.
Budd
Active User
Active User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)