[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - New user, so far it's pretty good

New user, so far it's pretty good

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

New user, so far it's pretty good

Postby GenFrank » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:07 am

I haven't used the other navigator program before, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but so far I think the Plan-n-Go is pretty good. True, I'd like to see a lot more information about the RV parks, but I like the overall trip planning part of it. And, like their literature says, they will be updating the data for free, which is good. Of course, we don't know what these updates will consist of, but I hope they are substantive.

BTW, are there any other (better ?) programs of this type out there? I wouldn't mind taking a look at some other packages, as well.

Happy RV-ing :-)
GenFrank
New User
New User

Re: New user, so far it's pretty good

Postby mrhagen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:28 pm

"Pretty Good" ? I think it's very disappointing and not at all what I expected. The navigator was a much better product!
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Kevin_T » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:37 am

Mrhagen, one of these days you'll have something nice to say about something, for sure ;-)
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:58 am

Mrhagen, you appear to miss what the majority has been saying so far.... YOU obviously created higher expectations of what UnderTow is planning as did some others. UnderTow provided new software that included much of what they planned and you are concentrating on something that NO other company has ever attempted to gather which is a piece of software that includes every campground, name, type, rating, opinion, membership, classification, etc., etc. etc. and you want it 100% complete with all the information ever created by anyone, on first pass, in less than a year and you want to pay $30 to $60. Not even TL could do this, nor AAA, nor Microsoft.

You obviously didn't know, the original TL sponsored software only provided the few places that conformed to THEIR TL requirements. The fact you "think it's very disappointing" proves that you are looking for a different product and set your expectations too high and don't have a clue what it takes to get what you need, especially if TL was very weak because their database and POIs were VERY limiting and filtered. I didn't bash TLDCN or RTN because I managed my expectation that the software was created with TL's business model, but I used UnderTow's software because it helped me plan trips for when I RV, AND when I don't RV. I've also used it for AMtrak planning and tracking. Since I used many other tools and databases for campgrounds the TL information was curious but it generally did NOT include the places I frequented.

If you don't like it, don't use it. Go back to TL's limited software and enjoy yourself. You are missing the point that the software offers other things and the new user likes the trip planning capability and the RV Parks are secondary.

Kevin_T.... I'm feeling a little bit of deja vu. Didn't we used to have another member that used to bash first, and understand later? Sometimes people gotta know their limitations. I guess I'm just so old my limitations are higher than others.

GenFrank - as a long time user of this software and longer time user of other software and databases, I completely agree with you. In fact, I posted in another topic and guessed that a new user would come along and say exactly what I predicted. I hope this forum can continue to help you.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby MichaelG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:27 am

mrhagen wrote:"Pretty Good" ? I think it's very disappointing and not at all what I expected. The navigator was a much better product!

Mrhagen, this is not like me, but I think this is one case where I was also disappointed with what I received, but I will support undertow, will continue to use the product (and my 2012 version at the same time) and will try to contribute with expanding the database, if I can.

I can't be as gunho about it as Artmart, but as he disclosed in one of his posts, he's been working as beta tester with undertow for a while, so he may be a bit biased, nothing wrong with that :-) Having said that, for once I agree with him that under the circumstances and with TL out of the picture, we have an opportunity to influence the process much more than we could before. We might as well!

*Undertow*, you'd better not let us down ;-)
MichaelG
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:09 am

Michael G, I am not biased to UnderTow, I just have years of experience having worked in the business for over 30 years and cross-company business contracts are great when things are going well, but absolutely ugly when they don't.

I joined this forum long ago and only because of my forum contributions, have they invited me to their beta program - they must think I know a thing or two handling customers (I have about 25 years of doing that, too. I didn't ask for it, they asked for me. Having managed beta programs myself in the past, this is a big difference. In fact, it was my idea for them to come up with some kind of notice that the release was late and while they did, it was not the way I would have written it, but I DO NOT work for UnderTow Software and didn't feel it was my place.

For those of you who were expecting a comprehensive database because they were no longer be restricted to TL listings, then I was hoping for a comprehensive database but between you and me, I had NO idea how they were going to pull off such a Heculean effort. Guess what! In this regard, it is not only dissapointing, it is VERY disappointing, But for me, I use the rest of the program quite a bit and for this reason I might sound favored for the release and hope they improve the database MUCH further.

Please don't call me gung-ho because I am not. Call me tolerant because I understand the disconnect of TL/UnderTow's relationship, the level of effort for what they promised to provide, other features the program can do and how customers think and more times than not, very few people can put all these together and make sense of it. This release pretty much showed me that I was right about what they could do and not being a part of this beta program didn't have an opportunity to help them set our product expectations, because I am NOT on their payroll and can't contribute any more unless I was. I would have been impressed if they had pulled it off, but not surprised they didn't since I know the level of effort involved. If I ever DO become part of theirs or any other company, then I will remove myself from their forums because of proprietary concerns. Until then, I think I have a lot of hard earned wisdom and perspective to offer and this might include arguing the "This product is disappointing" comments knowing there are a LOT more positive things to consider. If these other features were crap, too then you'd be hearing a whole lot of a different story from me. But think about it, the only thing wrong with this product is that the campground database lacks detail.

MichaelG, I'm guessing you and I are in the same boat for the new RVPNG2013 and keeping RTN2012, too. But other than the more extensive TL database detail from RTN2012 I plan to use RVPNG2013 to continue becoming a smarter user since I really don't care much for the TL listings since they lacked so many other campgrounds in the first place.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Kevin_T » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:07 pm

artmart wrote:Kevin_T.... I'm feeling a little bit of deja vu. Didn't we used to have another member that used to bash first, and understand later? Sometimes people gotta know their limitations. I guess I'm just so old my limitations are higher than others.

Ha ha ha, I had missed this part a few days ago, when I first read your message. Indeed, we had a member that used to do that (no names), but the good thing is that after a year or so of doing that, he has mellowed out a lot. Well, not completely reformed, but you know, good enough :-)

You know, I have been reading these forums now for a few days and I have a few observations.

- I don't know why Undertow released the product at this time. They HAD to know they would get a lot of flack for it. I'm sure that they had their good reasons for doing so. It could be pressure from users that were screaming "Where is the new version?", it could be pressure from management saying "where is the new release?", who knows. But, if it was me, I wouldn't have released and have to put up with all the negativity. And, I have to give them credit for doing so and standing up to get the beating and the abuse from users. I would/could not have done it!

- I have to agree that the product (well, the campgrounds database) needs work to become useful. I don't know what possessed them to include quite a few points, where they ONLY had coordinates and the name and just add "collecting data". Why do that? Let's say they had 20,000 points and details (of some level) for only 6,000 or 9,000 or whatever. Why not release the database with ONLY those points they had data for and then, add the rest of them though updates, as they were getting more details? It would have been so much easier to answer the users questions "Hey, I was looking for XYZ Park and couldn't find it", by saying something like "We'll include it in the next update" and then go get the info and add it. I guess my thinking and theirs are out of step and I could be wrong, but that's my opinion!!!

- I am not certain as to whether the separation of Undertow and Trailer Life is good, or not. I loved the quality and detail of the Navigator information, that was coming from Trailer Life, but I also didn't like the fact that Trailer Life would exclude certain parks, for whatever reason (Some say that parks that generated additional revenue for Trailer Life by advertising were getting preferential treatment, favorable ratings, etc., and I am not sure about that, but it sort of makes sense that they would - that's business). However, I hope that this separation will give Undertow an opportunity to be more inclusive and not ignore some of the smaller (and in my opinion) better parks. So, in that sense, this may be a good thing. And, I will try to contribute to that end by sending them whatever park information I have gathered over the years, since they encourage feedback.

- Finally, to MrHagen and others with similar disposition, there is nothing wrong with complaining and holding undertow's feet to the fire to improve the product, correct errors, etc. It's all in *how* the delivery of the complaints. If I were *that* turned off by a product, instead of whining and always being negative, etc. I would return it and never look back. I like the attitude of some other poster in another thread, where he said. "No, I am not returning the product, I will be coming here and keep bugging you until you realize the potential the product really has", or words to that effect!

O.K., 'nough preaching. I hope the someone we were talking about doesn't all of a sudden start acting up again :-)
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013