[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - What it all means?

What it all means?

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

What it all means?

Postby EdWhite » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:58 pm

This may sound silly, but I am fairly new to all this and things that may be second nature to most of you, are sort of confusing to me :-( The discussion of this new program from undertow with all the different terms, and other things I have seen in the other forums are driving me nuts. I was wondering if someone could give me some simple, few word answers to some of my questions. Once again, I apologize if these questions are trivial to you.

- What do people refer to as "military campgrounds"? Does it include any and all campgrounds that are in any way related to the military? Does it in include the Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds? How about navy campgrounds?

- I see people talking about goodsam parks, thousand trail parks, passport america parks, etc. Can a specific park be in more than one of these categories? I understand that these are like discount clubs. How do they work? Does anyone have a list of all such discount clubs? Is encore one of them? Is one club better than the other? How so?

I may have more questions as I learn more - lucky you guys :-) Like I said, if you think they are trivial, just ignore them, but if you can answer them, you'll definitely relieve my migraine.
EdWhite
Casual User
Casual User

Re: What it all means?

Postby RBMiller » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:03 am

EdWhite wrote:...
- What do people refer to as "military campgrounds"? Does it include any and all campgrounds that are in any way related to the military? Does it in include the Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds? How about navy campgrounds?

Military Campgrounds are located on military facilities and exist to serve active and retired service members - ID required. Corps of Engineer campgrounds are open to the general public.
Dick Miller
RVPNG2013
RBMiller
New User
New User

Postby EdWhite » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:57 pm

RBMiller wrote:Military Campgrounds are located on military facilities and exist to serve active and retired service members - ID required. Corps of Engineer campgrounds are open to the general public.

Thank you, that makes sense. I am learning :-)
EdWhite
Casual User
Casual User

Postby Macci3 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:44 pm

EdWhite wrote:- I see people talking about goodsam parks, thousand trail parks, passport america parks, etc. Can a specific park be in more than one of these categories? I understand that these are like discount clubs. How do they work? Does anyone have a list of all such discount clubs? Is encore one of them? Is one club better than the other? How so?

Others here may correct me, but I'm pretty sure a campground can be a member of more than one RVer clubs. It's possible for a GoodSam and a Passport America members to both get discounts at a given campground.

As to what clubs are out there, you can find a comprehensive list and appropriate links, here: [url][url]http://www.rv-camping.org/RVClubs.html[/url][/url]

You get to decide which club is better for you.
Macci3
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:42 pm

You don't need correcting Macci3 about campgrounds being listed in any number of clubs, memberships, discount programs, books, listings, catalogs, etc.

Ed White used Encore as an example. I belong to 1000 Trails who purchased NACO, OAR, and other resorts and was in turn purchased by Encore. It took a while before their listings were corrected within themselves and now some of these private member campgrounds are being opened to the public or other clubs and listings. Then they are connected to RPI and Enjoy America amongst others. Guess what?! That link that Macci3 provided may still not include all listings.

I do not know of a single source comprehensive and accurate database and you should consider it impossible for this to exist since any campground can be bought, sold, dismantled or built all the time or the information about them changes as well.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby EdWhite » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks to all of you, I appreciate the responses. That's why I like on-line places like this. People freely sharing information and answering questions for newbies! Love it. I have a couple of more questions, if you don't mind.

I see some campgrounds classified as Private and others as Public. Does that mean that ONLY members can stay at the Private ones? Or does it mean something else?

Are there any *specific* benefits that make one club stand out from the rest? Also, I got some offers for a Trailer Life magazine subscription. Is it worth it? Or, would posters here recommend a different general RV-er publication?

TIA
EdWhite
Casual User
Casual User

Postby artmart » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Wow, you've got more than a couple of questions, but I'll take a stab at some answers. There is no such thing as a dumb question, but there can be dumb answers.

"Private" often means membership, but it can mean solely owned and that it does not belong to a club or membership, or it provides many amenities that are generally not available everywhere. The end result is that these campgrounds may have extra requirements beyond what most campers expect. For example, no tenters, or an RV must be of a certain type (no cheap or old rigs) and stuff like that. The worst is that these campgrounds will generally be more expensive!

"Public" means, there may or may not be an attendant or office, or it receives some type of government dollars (so don't expect too much) and they are generally available to everyone with very little limitations, except maybe length of RV. They may also not have as many amenities (no showers, some hookups, etc.)

This doesn't mean that Private or Public cannot cross boundaries. For example, I have been to Private campgrounds that don't have all the hookups, as well as some VERY nice Public campgrounds.

I like to categorize them in these ways. With Private Campgrounds, I look at them to see what additional stuff they DO provide. With public campgrounds I look at them to see what stuff they DON'T. :D

The benefits and differences with these benefits of Clubs are too numerous to mention. I belong to 1000 Trails and got "grandfathered" into Encore so the benefits change depending on what I elect to pay for. There are also very inexpensive memberships that are open to many other campgrounds and provide heavily discounted fees but only for a limited number of nights, or limited locations, or limited availability on a yearly basis.

Lastly, it's been a while since I received a TL subscription. It's worth is a very subjective thing. I don't use it anymore since I receive comparable magazines via other means and memberships and after being an avid RV, tenter, backpacker, hiker, don't feel I need it since I can pretty much write the articles in there myself. I do recommend you try it if you are new to camping, or RVing as it's better to gain information than not. Even the advertisements can teach you what's out there. Reading magazines like these often gets you curious enough to increase the number of questions to continue gaining knowledge on their expertise. You are never too old to stop learning.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby EdWhite » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:43 am

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed answer, Art. It's all starting to make sense, slowly.
EdWhite
Casual User
Casual User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013