[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Can't install

Can't install

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

Can't install

Postby OpenRoad » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:01 am

I got my Plan-n-go 2013 but I can't install it. I put the disk in the drive and nothing happens, it just sits there - the program doesn't start. Do I have a bad disk, or something?
OpenRoad
New User
New User

Re: Can't install

Postby IanRoth » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:00 am

It could be a bad disk, but it could also be that the autostart is not working right. Have seen this a number of times. did you try what their package says to do if it doesn't start automatically. First you need to find the letter of your dvd drive. You can do that if you go to Computer or My Computer in Windoz. The letter should be something like "D:", "E:", etc. Usually "C:" is your fixed, internal hard drive - that's NOT what you want.

So, let's say the drive letter for your DVD drive is "E:". Then hold down the windows start key on your keyboard and press the R key. The run window should open. Type in: "E:\setup.exe" (no quotes) and click O.K.

If the problem was the autostart, then this should start the installation and you should be all set.

Of course if you just have a bad disk, you'll get some sort of error message that hopefully tells you what the problem is.

You can also try to check if it's a bad disk by trying to install it onto another system, if you have one. Being unable to install on that one, as well, raises the probability of having a bad disk.
IanRoth
Active User
Active User

Postby OpenRoad » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 am

Thank you, that did it. I can't understand why the installation didn't start automatically, like it has done with other programs I have installed, but following the directions you gave me solved the problem.
OpenRoad
New User
New User

Postby artmart » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:09 pm

I'll never understand how systems determine how to autostart. When I got my new copy of RVPNG2013, it autoinstalled just fine, but I've had other software program disks that did not and I use the manual method. Then I take it over to another computer (I have 3) and it autostarts.

If you read the installation instructions for most programs (I say most, because some software doesn't even come with instructions) the install instruction will state what's supposed to happen (autostart), but if it doesn't then the instructions for a manual start like what IanRoth mentioned are recommended. It's always worth it to try the manual if the auto doesn't work.

While many of us already know this phenomenon, it's nice for someone to come along and mention it for those who forget or don't know, This is a common enough occurrence to make a forum topic to remind us.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby billrot » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Art, the user's settings on the computer determine the Autoplay, or not. And, getting those settings right, depends on which version of Windows you use. For example, in Windows 7,

1. Click the start button, type in the search box -> Autoplay (no Enter or anything else), wait a couple of seconds for the choices to appear and then click "Autoplay" at the top of the list to set up the various Autoplay options.
billrot
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:49 am

Billrot, I have systems running Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 and I have always used the default to autoplay but it doesn't always work and I don't know why nor do I care to find out why. When it doesn't I use autorun to workaround when it doesn't work. No harm, no foul and the software in the drive gets installed.

It's good to know of this phenomenon and make the necessary adjustment.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013